Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which cpu ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dino2014

dino2014

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

Looking to upgrade my old desktop with a mobo bundle.

The Gigabyte H81M HD3 seems to meet my needs as it mainly a home office type of machine with little gaming.

The problem is in the best cpu to get ?

Locally, the best options seem to be, the Intel G 3420  with a BM of 3460  and a price of GBP £51, 

friends have suggested the i3 4160 with  a BM of 4281 would be a much better performer, true,

but  at £90 is it worth nearly double the price of the G3420 for that 23% increase in the benchmark figures ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:29 AM

In the sort of price range you are looking at, the price performance kings are:

Pentium G3258

Athlon X4 860K

As standard the Athlon X4 860K is a stronger performer.  It is a 3.7 Ghz quad core CPU based on AMD's Kaveri core, which offers higher performance per clock cycle than previous generations (still some way off what Intel are achieving however).  At £53 at the time of writing, it's a steal IMHO.  The G3258 is very popular because of it's low price and high overclocking potential, which tests have shown can bring it up to the level of an i5 in some scenario's.  It'll always be a dual core though.

The main difference between the Pentium and Core i3 series is the i3 has Hyper Threading (two physical, four logical cores) which helps with multi tasking and running multi threaded software.  It also has more cache memory.  One disadvantage of just looking at a single benchmark number is it doesn't tell the whole story.  Hyper Threading really helps in some situations - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1192?vs=1256 (not the exact models you mention, but to give an idea).  However I think the 860K at current pricing is better value.

The AMD chip would need an FM2+ board, for example this.  EDIT Should also add that unlike the Pentium, it has no integrated graphics solution though.

Edited by jonuk76, 17 December 2014 - 05:58 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:51 AM

Thanks, some interesting options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users