Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Configuration Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ropnjessi

ropnjessi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

Currently I have a cable modem service, then this feed a VPN router and I have it configured for a static IP. When I set up the LAN should the DNS be set to the ISP numbers or to the Router DNS (192.168.1.1)? I am having issues with having to reload web pages all the time and the VoIP phones are cutting in and out. Trying to determine if it the ISP or my network. Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

Modem -> Router WAN -> Router LAN

Your router WAN should be whatever IP address you get from your ISP.  Your router LAN should be either 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x.

I don't know which router address you have set to static.  If it is the LAN address, no big deal as that should also be your gateway address.  If it is the WAN address, that may be your problem unless you are paying your ISP for a static IP address.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

Another thought would be to physically check the download, internet, DSL led lights on both the modem or router when this things do happen.

Tekken

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

You can set the DNS to whatever you want. I use OpenDNS.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 ropnjessi

ropnjessi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for all the responses, we pay for a static IP which is configured on the WAN, then the LAN is typical 192.168.xxx.1, gateway 192.168.xxx.1 and DNS I input the assigned numbers from ISP. So when I configure the PoE switch into the mix I have 192.168.xxx.3, gateway 192.168.xxx.1, then the DNS is the assigned numbers from ISP. Trying to rule out the configuration issues before we start swapping out hardware to see if they are the problem......frustrating as this has been going on for 2 weeks now.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

Try setting the DNS to Google's DNS:  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users