Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to Understand a Scam

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

I am a music teacher and recently posted an ad on Craigslist.  A day or so after posting, I got a suspicious txt msg on my phone (my phone number was included in the ad), one which I have received numerous times in the past.  It used to come to me as email but now I am getting text messages.

Here is the msg:

"Hello...How are you doing?  My name is Daniel Williams.  I want tutor lesson for my Daughter for a month she is 12.  I want you to calculate the cost of 2 hours per day for 3 days in a week for the whole Month and the total cost.  emauil me at swilllis514@gmail.com.  Thanks."

I can't figure why this person wants me to respond.  The number of hours a week for lessons is totally bogus.  I have taught hour lessons but never three hours.  The last time I got this msg, I emailed back that I wanted a phone number to talk to someone and the sender told me s/he had laryngitis. 

I did not respond but I do want to know what they are trying to get from me.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 greasysicilian

greasysicilian

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

have you tried calling the number that texted you?

#3 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

The wording has "Scam" written all over it.

1) "Hello - How are you doing?"  Why would they ask that?  Plenty of spam emails start off like that, it's supposed to look friendly but they couldn't give two hoots.

how you are.

2) I want tutor lesson for my Daughter ..." Poor English.  Plenty of scam messages are written by people in countries such as India, China or Pakistan and they are hardly paid enough to get to 'work' each day (where they churn these messages out).

3) Why should YOU have to calculate the cost?  If you've published your hourly rate, then they can do that for themselves!

You probably don't have the number the text came from, but if you do, then do NOT respond.  Doing that will give them your phone number and advise them that your phone is working and that you answer all your texts.  This increases the value of your phone number, resulting in more scam texts going forward.

Incidentally, just Google this:

"My name is Daniel Williams" daughter

and follow some of the results you get ...

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

For one possible explanation see the following:

The 7 Biggest Craigslist Scams

Scroll down to: Cell Phone Trickery

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 greasysicilian

greasysicilian

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:48 AM

ive had similar scams when listing my car for sale on craigslist 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

The 10 Most Common Cell Phone Scams and How to Avoid Them
Missed calls & text messages from unknown numbers
Mobile phone scams
Stop Spam Text Messages
Stop Text Message Scams
Verizon: Phone Fraud and Scam Alerts
The 5 most common phone scams and how to avoid them
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

I recently set up a Google+ business page and get calls a few times of week, telling me my Google profile is only have complete and for a one-time fee of $299, I can be assured that Google will include my information in their search engine.  I checked with people in the social media developing field and they said this is bull.  Last week I added my cell phone to the FDC no-call list and the last time I confronted one of these callers, they hung up on me.  They pretend they are from Google and tell me my business will not be included.  They are really annoying.  I can't tell if it's one place or this is a scamming network 

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

I can't figure why this person wants me to respond. 

What they want from you is money.

If you answer with an amount, they will send you a money order/check with an amount higher than what you ask. Then they will come with an excuse, for example that they made a mistake and paid you too much. And if you would be so kind to send them the extra amount back, minus a fee for you to keep for the inconvenience. And after you gave them money, the money order/check they send you will bounce.

So in the end, you gave them money.

Or they will say they send you a money transfer from a foreign country (again, more than you ask), because they are abroad, but then the money order will be "blocked", and if you could be so kind to pay the "fee" to unblock the money transfer.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 16 December 2014 - 05:36 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users