Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I tell if a Dell Optiplex 3020MT has Raid 1 Installed??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grenneam

grenneam

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

A friend of mine, who is an office manager at a Sewer Authority, ordered a Dell Optiplex about 6 months ago because of the XP support termination.  One of the criteria specified was that it have the same Raid1 capabilities as the PC it was replacing.  The PC was supplied by a company that also supplies one of the 2 crucial pieces of software she uses daily.  They installed the Windows 7 system along with their software which is Database oriented and sent a representative to move her existing data to the new system.   I was at her place yesterday for another issue and was poking around her PC and could not determine if she was running with Raid1.  I looked at the Bios set-up and could see nothing that would indicate any raid capability..  There is also not any raid maintenance/status information displayed when the system bios is starting up.

So that is my basic question - Does a Dell Optiplex Mini-Tower have raid capability?  And my second question is - If not, can an Add-on Raid card be installed - and here's the kicker - WITHOUT having to Reload/Reinstall the Operating system??

I looked at the Disk Management Sub-function of the Manage function of My Computer and I can see a Second Identical Hard Drive, but it appears EMPTY and it doesn't show-up as a named volume using Explorer.  On my PC which is running XP and RAID1, my second hard drive does NOT show up under the Disk Management Sub-Function, nor does it show-up under Explorer.  But when I start-up my bios always displays a status message as to the health of my raid system..  So I'm really suspicious as to whether this system was constructed properly.  Looking for answers while I may still have options.

Edited by grenneam, 16 December 2014 - 09:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

See if you can get to the RAID BIOS using Ctrl+I at boot.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN153494/EN

#3 grenneam

grenneam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

I'll let you know.  Her PC is at another location.  I'll be going there tomorrow evening and will give it a try then.  Thanks for your response...

#4 grenneam

grenneam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

See if you can get to the RAID BIOS using Ctrl+I at boot.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN153494/EN

After rereading your suggestion I need to ask if that is Ctrl+L (ELL) or Ctrl+I (Eye or AYE).  Stupid question I know but my fonts confuse my eyeballs between a lower case ELL with an Upper Case Eye or Aye.  Say it don't read it.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:36 PM

It is Ctrl + I as in eye.

Edit: It may be a lower case i but I am not sure. In the article I linked to it references the lower case i.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 December 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#6 grenneam

grenneam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:04 PM

Thanks John for the quick response...  Obviously I didn't click the link --- Sorry...

#7 grenneam

grenneam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Sorry for the delay but I couldn't get to the PC last night will go there again today and taake another stab at it...

#8 grenneam

grenneam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

Really am sorry that it took so long but a few other unrelated things have derailed my plans.  At any rate I was able to go there this morning.  I entered set-up and examined the SATA Operation title.  There was NO reference whatsoever to RAID of any type.  Only radio button selections were ATA, AHCI, and another one that wasn't important.   I tried the Ctrl+i but it had no impact - which wasn't unexpected given the lack of any RAID reference.  I think I'm going to hook up with dell support and see what they have to say about it.  I'm pretty sure we bought an extended maintenance agreement with this system..   Thanks for your input.  If you can think of anything else let me know and if I get an answer from Dell I'll pass it on too.  By the way, when I use manage to look at the Second Hard drive, it says that the entire drive in un-allocated and it doesn't have any drive letter associated with it.  Just an FYI..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users