Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo/cpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 as311

as311

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

Allright, well my mobo finally burned up (or my CPU), but I don't really care because I've been wanting to upgrade to 64-bit anyways. Now, my first question is regarding operating system. I have a version of Windows XP Pro on disc w/ serial key, will this work with a new Athlon 64 set-up? Do I need to purchase a newer version of Windows? I remember hearing something about this a while back. If that's the case I can't afford it right now, nor do I know anyone who can get me a free version. Now, on to more hardware related questions:

- Any recommendations on what mobo to get? I am thinking I want a 3500+ sckt 939 CPU. Something right around there. I am very limited pricewise. Things it must have: AGP 8x for my 9800PRO and onboard sound. I prefer ASUS to the rest.

Also, I have PC2700 RAM now, this should transfer, yeah?

I am planning to go down to Fry's today, and installing it all this afternoon. Things I will be getting are a new mobo, new CPU, and a new cooler. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hi as311.
Yes, the 32bit version of XP pro will install on the 64bit cpu's.
I stopped recommending individual HW components years ago as the asker just usually ends up confused from all the different opinions. :thumbsup:
I agree with you on one thing. Asus is a decent board. So is Gigabyte and MSI. Don't rule 'em out.
The last time I visited frye's (Chicago area) they were low on Asus mainboards and insanely over priced.

Edited by HitSquad, 19 June 2006 - 03:21 PM.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

Have a look at ASRock, it is ASUS's value division, and they also make high-quality boards but at a lower pricepoint than the ASUS labled ones.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 as311

as311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, in fact I am leaning toward an ASRock. Man I hope the prices here are decent, otherwise I'm going to have to wait until Friday or later from Newegg. Bummer. Thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users