Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to find boot drive insert boot disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fionagirlie

fionagirlie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hi,
My pc (win 8, IE9, 64 bit) started behaving oddly suddenly before refusing to go any further now saying unable to find boot drive, please insert boot disk and press any key.
Is this terminal and have I lost all data on that pc? Will taking it to a pc wizard do any good?
I am in Australia
I hope someone can offer productive advice
Fiona

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Welcome,

I'm assuming that you are currently communicating from another computer.

Do you have the installation disk? If not, then the trip to the PC wizard sounds like a wise choice.

The data loss will depend on what is wrong and when you made your last backup. It could be very little to total.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

There are a lot of PC wizards right here that would be happy to help you for free.

#4 fionagirlie

fionagirlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

Yes Dickie, I'm using my laptop in the interim. I don't have a boot up disk, no, as all software was preloaded when I purchased the computer.

Kingdom Seeker, Are you one of those 'wizards' who can help with an answer to my woes???

I'm really hoping to fix it without taking it to someone. If it still had an working OS I probably could have repaired it myself as I have with other PC's in the past, but not when all is gone and back to 'dos'.

Someone please HELP!

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

I am not familiar enough with your type of problem so I'll wait for someone that can offer you the best support. Otherwise I would have already tried. Good luck. Here is an idea you can try in the mean time. Unplug your power cord. While it's unplugged press and hold the power button for approx 30 seconds and replug it in and try again. This clears the CMOS and may overcome your issue. This is a longshot but worth a try.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 16 December 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:27 AM

Do you have the installation disk for any OS?

It might give us a starting point

dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#7 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

Please give this a try since you have a laptop available.

Windows comes with a built-in repair environment called the Recovery Environment. Unfortunately, it is possible for the recovery environment to become inaccessible. The same tools can be accessed by using the Windows DVD that came with your computer, but unfortunately not many computer manufacturers actually provide the Windows media anymore. Therefore, it is suggested that you create the bootable Windows System Repair disc, which you can boot off of to access these troubleshooting and recovery tools when you need them. This tutorial will walk you through the process of creating this disc.

The first step is to insert a blank DVD or CD into the DVD drive you wish to create the disc with.

Then, if you use Windows 7, click on the Start button and type recdisc. At the top of the start menu you should see the recdisc filename appear and should then double-click on it.

Otherwise, if you are using Windows 8, type recdisc at the Windows Start Screen and then click on the recdisc search result when it appears.

The Create a system repair disc screen should now be open.

63f47026-e862-42eb-87a8-ce95bbd38cef.jpg

Select the drive that has the blank media inserted into and then click on the Create disc button.

f3e1952a-f2ae-434d-a4c4-07bc7a5c34ae.jpg

Windows will start to create the repair disc, and when finished, display one of these dialogs depending on the version of Windows you are using.

ddf141b2-8e96-495d-bbb6-3a4f2c9d5031.jpg    ca9938e1-9227-4f17-89f3-e47c434a3417.jpg

You can now click on the Close button and then remove the disc from your drive. Please label the disc and store it in a safe location. When you are ready to use it, simply insert it into your computer and reboot. Your computer should detect it as bootable media and ask if you wish to boot off of it. Follow the instructions it gives in order to boot your computer with the repair CD. Once the recovery environment is loaded, you can then access the recovery options that are available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users