Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Only Starts If I Remove PCI Cards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate PC with the following components:

PSU - Seasonic SS-500HT Active PFC F3

Processor - Intel Q8300 Core 2 Quad (2.50GHz/4M/1333/05A/Socket: 775)

Motherboard - ASRock G31M-GS R2.0

Graphics Card - VTX3D Radeon HD5450 1GB PCIe DVI HDMI 2GB

Audio Card - Asus Xonar DS

Wireless LAN Card - Edimax EW-7128G 802.11 g

Optical Drive - Sony AD-7240S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Bare

Hard Drive 1 - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black

Hard Drive 2 - 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green

Hard Drive 3 - 2TB Seagate Barracuda

RAM - Kingston 2 x 2GB PC2-5300 DDR 667 240Pin

USB 3.0 PCI-E Card - Orico PVU3-5O2U

I reinstalled Windows last week after installing a new motherboard and it worked OK for a few days, but now whenever I try to start it up in the morning it goes to the "Starting Windows" screen and stops with just a small pink dot of the Windows logo appearing. For the past few days I've been able to start it by using System Restore, but today it said it had no restore points, so I experimenting with removing components. I found that the only way I could get it to start is by removing the graphics, audio and USB3 cards. With any one of those installed it wouldn't start. All three of those cards were installed when I installed Windows and had up-to-date drivers and seemed to be working fine. 

Please can someone suggest how I can get everything working properly with my cards installed?

Thanks,

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

If you haven't already tried this, turn on the computer and tap the delete key and see if you can get to the BIOS. If you can try to reset it to default values then press F10 to save. Good luck.

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

It's OK, I've fixed it now thanks. I tried reinstalling the cards one at a time and they worked OK apart from the USB 3.0 card. I replaced it with another USB PCI-E card and the computer started up alright, so it looks like it was the card that was faulty.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

Glad to hear it's working. You might want to update the chipset drivers for your motherboard and OS. That might help with the USB 3 issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users