Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(oX80070002))

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Yony

Yony

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:27 AM

Hello

I have used B/C before but am afraid I seem lost again / forgotten what to do - so apologies before I start! For a long time now I have been receiving an error message ox80070002)) I am hoping once this is sorted it may answer other problems I have as well? I am also perhaps frustratingly very average on a PC so "Easy as she go's" with explanations please!

• Windows 7Home Premium
  • 64bit

Many thanks Yony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:40 AM

The error code 0x80070002 refers to an error when you try to run Windows Update. This problem occurs when some files in the dowloaded update are missing, even though the update was downloaded successfully. I would recommend running the Microsoft Fix It tool for Windows 7 located on the support page for this error to see if that resolves the issue. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

Please let us know if that resolves the issue.

Edited by josh_the_techie, 16 December 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#3 Yony

Yony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:41 AM

Josh

Thank you very much for your help! This may really surprise you, seems for the first time since 2010 my PC has "backed up" not sure if  properly! but it say's so? this is embarrassing as I know it is so important! I don't know what to do now! I understand I can get a remote storage unit! but that will have to be after Xmas & same with disks! sounds a bit desperate but I have had a bit of a knock back personally & I am 100% concentrating on Xmas for my kids! Is it best to continue this thread Josh after I have got things sorted out after Christmas! or can a "back up" go into my PC?(& saved temporarily?) sorry mate,I really do not know! I am not sure what drive a PC works off but have seen an(A) © & (D) disc shown I guess that's internally? Josh I do have another "Major" question to ask? but so we do things one at a time just my Logic!! I am sticking with this with you for now! I bet the suspense is "killing you" Josh again I say & really mean it ! thank you for getting back so quick & your help.

Yony 

#4 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:01 AM

Hi Yony,

Run the Microsoft Fix-It tool as suggested by Josh, and if no joy then you should be able to restore to a point in time just before it happened.

Then re-try the Windows updates.

As for your backups, I really cannot stress enough how important it is to get yourself an external drive to back up on to.  The three main issues you're likely to encounter are:

1) Hard drive failure - nobody knows when a hard drive is going to die, and if it chooses an inopportune time to do so then you could be left high and dry with all your data lost.  Sure, there are things you can try should this happen but better if you don't have to go there.

2) Virus / Malware attack.  A lot of malware can be removed, but there is always the distinct possibility that the only way out is to reformat and reinstall.

3) Encrypting malware - an extension on the above.  You're merrily using your system and then up pops a message telling you that all your personal files have been encrypted and that you'll have to pay a ransom if you want them back.  I kid you not.  Usually delivered by socially-engineered email, and opening up an attachment on an email from an unknown sender, typically purporting to be some kind of invoice or tax demand.

Some of the encrypting malwares are nastier than others - look in the "Security" section of this forum for more information, but always better safe than sorry.

Back your data up ASAP.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#5 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:55 AM

Yes definitely back up your data when you are able to. Your computer has an internal hard drive where Windows is installed. Usually marked as the C: drive and where D: is usually an optical drive (like a CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray drive). You'll want to backup to an external drive as that usually ensures a safer backup. A quick search on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=external+hard+drive&sprefix=external+%2Caps%2C233 will bring up many choices. Western Digital and Seagate are good choices.

If that Fix-It tool doesn't help, definitely please report back to this thread where we'll be more than happy to help you troubleshoot further.

Josh

#6 Yony

Yony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:45 AM

Josh

I am not to sure just sent to see what you think! many thanks

Attached Files

#7 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:06 AM

I would then try to perform a System Restore (Start > search "System Restore"). Following the instructions and select a restore point to a point before you started noticing this problem. Otherwise I would go to Windows Update and look for the update that failed under "Installed Updates" to see if you can hide it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users