Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Electret Microphone project! Help required!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fapguy

Fapguy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:54 AM

Hello! New guy here, and I already have a problem to share! Or rather, a request for help
What I am trying to make, is a USB electret microphone since mine just got ripped to pieces by a hungry dog, and I just happen to have some china parts lying around that might be good for this project, what do you think?
I have these things available right now, and of course also a soldering iron. I also have a migraine and no idea how to put any of this together, or if it even would work.

Some reason I can't "imglink" this..
http://i.imgur.com/KAK5zNh.jpg

The USB soundcard has a http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDet.../PSerno-7.html inside it. It was able to power a pair of DT 990 Pro 250ohm headphones fairly well, but I am using a real soundcard now so the USB one is rather useless. Would this be usable?

Would it be possible (would there be any point even?) to make it a stereo microphone aswell?

Please let me know as soon as possible what you think I could do!
Thanks, and merry almost christmas!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fapguy

Fapguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:31 AM

Forgot to mention I have a 2K ohm trimpot and some 10k ohm trimpots

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:37 AM

Hi :welcome:  to BC

Some reason I can't "imglink" this..
http://i.imgur.com/KAK5zNh.jpg

Please read post # 2  by Moderator  Stolen

How do I post a screen shot? - BleepingComputer Announcement

What I am trying to make, is a USB electret microphone

IMO, Good for you, I am always in favour of trying something like that, and because it's low voltage nobody can get hurt, Can you please let us know how the project went.

Oh yes, something like this costs 6 bucks.

New Cool USB Desktop Noise Cancelling Mic Microphone for PC Computer MAC Laptop

since mine just got ripped to pieces by a hungry dog,

Yes I know all about that. I just gave up replacing them. The mic not the dog.

Edited by NickAu, 16 December 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#4 Fapguy

Fapguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

I did exactly that, it just said I'm not allowed, maybe a post count limit? Anyways, it's not hard to click the link hehe :)

Yes also, it's not just a USB mic, I want to solder it to the USB soundcard but I have no idea how to. Not sure if trying to do stereo would be worth it either... :/

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:27 PM

The internal circuit board will be surface mount so, if you can identify the correct input points, you should be able to do what you want if you feel confident enough to solder on surface mount boards. The block diagram for your microphone appears to show stereo analog inputs so you should even be able to create a stereo microphone if you wish.

Whether or not it is worth your while to do this depends on your skill level  and determination !  If you accept from the outset that this is an experiment that may not work you won't be too disappointed if it doesn't.

I think your image posting problem may be due to the image size. It looks a high resolution large sized image and there is an upper size limit on attached images, off the top of my head I cannot remember what it is.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Fapguy

Fapguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

The internal circuit board will be surface mount so, if you can identify the correct input points, you should be able to do what you want if you feel confident enough to solder on surface mount boards. The block diagram for your microphone appears to show stereo analog inputs so you should even be able to create a stereo microphone if you wish.

Whether or not it is worth your while to do this depends on your skill level  and determination !  If you accept from the outset that this is an experiment that may not work you won't be too disappointed if it doesn't.

I think your image posting problem may be due to the image size. It looks a high resolution large sized image and there is an upper size limit on attached images, off the top of my head I cannot remember what it is.

Chris Cosgrove

I am willing to try anything, I don't expect it to work, and if it does I don't expect it to sound perfect either :P

I've got the tools for it, the only thing I can't wrap my brain around is how :/

Yeah the picture might be too big, too bad the forum doesn't have an autoscale something hehe.. :)

I soldered a few things, last thing I soldered was a mini-usb plug inside an external 2.5 inch hdd enclosure, very small stuff! So I should be able to :)

If you want to help me, what do you need?

I guess TL;DR - How do I make a working microphone with the stuff I have, what do I put where? (not necesarrily stereo, but that would be quite fun though I think)

Thanks so much :)

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

The link you posted earlier, which takes you to the data about the device, includes a block diagram. What you really want is either a circuit diagram or better still a component layout diagram - or best of all, both !  You could try googling for them, you may find diagrams for similar equipments which will give you some idea of what you will find when you go inside it.

Surface mount has several problems when it comes to working on it to repair or modify. The first is the sheer tiny size of components. The second is that it is very difficult, because of the small size, to work out what different components are doing. The third is that a lot of SM boards are double sided, which complicates the task of trying to track circuit wiring.

But, you have nothing to lose - go for it !  If nothing else you will give yourself some healthy mental exercise, practice your physical dexterity and possibly learn a useful skill at the same time !

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Fapguy

Fapguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

The link you posted earlier, which takes you to the data about the device, includes a block diagram. What you really want is either a circuit diagram or better still a component layout diagram - or best of all, both !  You could try googling for them, you may find diagrams for similar equipments which will give you some idea of what you will find when you go inside it.

Surface mount has several problems when it comes to working on it to repair or modify. The first is the sheer tiny size of components. The second is that it is very difficult, because of the small size, to work out what different components are doing. The third is that a lot of SM boards are double sided, which complicates the task of trying to track circuit wiring.

But, you have nothing to lose - go for it !  If nothing else you will give yourself some healthy mental exercise, practice your physical dexterity and possibly learn a useful skill at the same time !

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove

Oh but, wait, the "chip" I linked to is what's on the USB sound card, maybe I didn't make that clear enough.. would I still have to do anything with the actual chip itself, or can't i just use the sound card?

Would it be as simple as soldering one of the microphones on + - and plugging it in with a jack stick?

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

It might well be as simple as soldering one of the microphones on - if you can identify where it is supposed to solder to and the circuit tracks didn't get too badly damaged when your dog mistook it for a bone.

As I said, by the sound of it you have nothing to lose by having a go. Good luck !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users