Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to get IE8 and google chrome to play nice in my xp pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dewitt dennison

dewitt dennison

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

hey guys and gals, the old rookie here again, does anyone know where i can get info on how to get IE8 and chrome to play nice together?  thx   dewitt

Edited by hamluis, 19 December 2014 - 07:02 AM.
Moved from XP to Email/Web Browsing - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:16 AM

What exactly are you trying to do?

#3 dewitt dennison

dewitt dennison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

thx frankp316, ii'm using an xp os with ie8 and google chrome. that puts two web browsers and one search engine on my computer at the same time. i've set google as my default search engine, however i was wondering if there are any good settings that will get ie8 and google chrome to work without getting in the way of on and other. this is just a rookie idea about how i might be able to get google search engine to load up a little faster     thx   dewitt

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:52 PM

I'm not sure why you seem to think you need to use two browsers because most users only use one. I have on my PC IE, Chrome and Firefox. I have used mostly Chrome for the last several years and rarely use the other two. But they are there in case I need them. I use Firefox for one specific thing that can't be done with the other two. Google owns Chrome so Google is automatically the default search engine. Of course you can have two browsers open at the same time. I'm not sure why you would do that regularly. And I don't know what you mean by "getting in the way of each other". It seems like you are trying to complicate something that is simple.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

As you are on XP I would advise you use firefox, and NEVER touch IE8. Sincwe support for XP ended it has been receiving no security updates, there have been some pretty concerning vulnerabilities discovered recently that affect all ms systems right back to before xp. If you use Firefox you can make your computer better protected against attacks (especially the really nasty drive-by sort, those that infect you just from visitng a page, no user interaction needed) by runnign the extensions Adblock plus and Noscript, this won't fully cover for the holes in XP but it will help more than chrome can, and I THINK FF will continue to be updated for it's xp versions for a few years, where chrome will lilely stop supporting XP soon and the only internet explorer versions that work on xp are old and vulnerable versions. I see no reason that your current setup of chrome and IE should conflict on your XP computer, i had them both working fien together with FF installed as well when i used XP. My personal suggestion is give up on Internet explorer and chrome, install firefox and if you can get firefox to work don't worry about how chrome or IE might behave. Unfortunately it is not possible to uninstall IE from Xp computers as IE is a critical part of the operating system. Also, for making things load faster set browser plugins to "click to play" or "ask to activate" and NEVER to "run automatically".
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 dewitt dennison

dewitt dennison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:30 PM

thx guys that will help me to use my xp    dewitt

#7 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Dennison,  you did not describe how your two browsers do not work well together.  I found some interaction happening between History of Google Chrome and I.E. on one of the machines that I use.  Setting Internet Explorer as the DEFAULT browser stopped that "problem".  I almost never use I.E. on that machine; and I usually use Google Chrome in Incognito mode.   (that computer is of Windows 7).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users