Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is PCIe x16 Gen 2 fast enough

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:09 PM

I'm looking at different builds when I noticed that AMD's AM3+ socket motherboards can't run PCIe Generation 3 controllers.

So I was was wondering, if I were to buy the two fastest graphics cards on the market and SLI them in PCIe gen 2 expansion slots, will this bottle neck their performance?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:06 AM

Not noticeably. There is not too much difference between PCIe gen 2 and gen 3. You may see a drop in about 1-4 FPS between the two but it definitely wont be noticeable. If you are looking for the two fastest cards on the market though, what would benefit you more, is going with an X99 platform with a new Haswell-E processor (not the i7-5820k) because the newer processors have 40 lanes of PCIe communications allowing for both of your cards to run at 16X speeds. This will give you a boost of about 10-15 FPS in games and since they will be PCIe Gen3, you can expect another 1-5 on top of that. The newer parts for the mobo and cpu are expensive as heck, but would you think it is worth it for the extra 15-20 FPS on ultra settings in all your games? I know I would :P

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users