Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newbie , hope i`m in the right spot.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Boat Doctur

Boat Doctur

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hello, another newbie with a general question.

After using the machine and signing off it goes to sleep and wont wake up using the keyboard.

always need to restart it.

I ran most of the fixes and never came up with anything. is this just a setting issue.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hello, and Welcome

I had this problem on a desktop and it turned out to be a Power Supply. The Power Supply worked fine otherwise but it would not let me get out of sleep unless I did a Hard Shutdown. There is a setting in BIOS under Power Management.  See if Setting it to S3 helps. If that does not work set it to S1.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/225833/Tweak_Your_Windows_PCs_Sleep_Mode.html

#3 Boat Doctur

Boat Doctur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:34 PM

that's still too deep for me to get into but I may have not stated the problem correctly. If I leave the machine with nothing logged on on all I see is my desktop icons.

come back 1/2 hour later and the monitor is in sleep mode, the "blue" light is on the machine not the amber one.

hitting any key does nothing to turn it  active, have to hold the reset button in to force a shutdown and restart.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?

#5 Boat Doctur

Boat Doctur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

hp pavillion

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

Can you also give the model number? It should be on a sticker. If you wish, you can change the settings in Window 7 so the computer will never sleep.

You can access the BIOS of a HP computer by using the following keys depending on your model. If it's a laptop it will probably be F10. It could also be Esc. In the BIOS menu you would look for something called Power Management. If you are not comfortable doing this have someone else help.

#7 Boat Doctur

Boat Doctur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:46 PM

followed the directions in the windows 7 link, will see if that helps, '

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users