Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't install

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KJackson50

KJackson50

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hey everyone,

I could really use some assistance here. I'm working on a computer, pretty routine wipe and reinstall. I used dban to wipe the drive, and started the Win 7 Home Premium install. Everything was going fine until an error popped up "Windows could not finish install".

Windows 7 was on this computer before it was wiped, so there's no hardware conflicts that I know of. I read around and saw that maybe some drivers needed to be loaded. Did that, but I'm still having the same issue. I even changed it from ACHI to IDE with no luck. I thought maybe the hard drive was going bad, but I did a chkdsk and got no errors.

My plan D is to break down and buy another hard drive, any ideas?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

I would download Seatools for DOS and do the short test. You may have to change BIOS to IDE from AHCI for Seatools to detect the drive. If the drive passes, then download the iso for your Windows 7 version here. Burn the iso at a speed no faster than 8X. You can also make a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus. Try the install again. What is the make and model of the computer? When installing WIndows 7 using the new iso make sure you have it on AHCI mode.

Seatools for DOS

Tutorial

SeaTools for DOS Guide - Seagate

#3 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. However I've already checked the HDD and and memory, no errors. I'm using a USB drive for the windows installation. The computer is an HP Pavillion Slimline.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

Try the iso I linked to and also Rufus to make the USB bootable. Can you give a model number of the Slimline. It should be on a sticker on the back of the computer.

#5 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:33 PM

Model number: s5710f

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

Here is the Sata driver for the computer. It's a self-extracting exe file. I will have to take a look later as I am off until tomorrow. There will be some files that will need to be put on a USB flash drive during the install at the point where a Window appears and the Load Drivers button is in the lower left of the Window. Hopefully loading the SATA driver will get rid of the problem.

288882d1381254820-install-windows-system

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

Was there any other OS on the current disk? It may be a good idea to do a wipe before trying the install. You can use Diskpart and the clean all command from the install disk to zero the disk. Make sure you are working on the correct disk.

There is a \src folder in the exe file of my previous post that has the 4 files you need to put on the root of a USB flash drive or CD when you Load Driver.

#8 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:52 PM

Not sure how to put the driver on a USB. When I downloaded sp51781.exe to the usb drive, and did load drivers, it does not show up. When I try to execute it on another system to actually download the drivers it says the computer is not compatible.

Right now the HDD for the affected system is completely wiped, no OS, no anything on it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

I extracted the four files and put them in a zip file. Unzip and put the four files on a USB flash drive or burn them to a CD. Then when you get to the window with the install driver button, click it and it should find the SATA drivers.

Attached Files

• Attached File  SATA.zip   69.02KB   1 downloads

#10 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hey disregard my last message, I found a way to get them on there. It worked! I think the drivers I added before were incorrect. In any case thanks for your prompt responses and help!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

Glad you finally got it to work. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users