Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gtkhash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:28 PM

thanks for sharing with us gtkhash. I do have questions about about two of the fields and I can't find instructions anywhere online. Those two fields are the 'check' field and the 'HMAC' field. Does anyone here know what those are?

Edited by bmike1, 15 December 2014 - 08:29 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

okay.... I figured out 'check'. That is where you put the number you are checking in. But what about HMAC? It seems to be a password but of that I am unsure.

--edit--

After i put something in to HMAC it seems to have modified the output.

Edited by bmike1, 15 December 2014 - 08:51 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:51 PM

bmike1, see Al1000's Topic, page 2, #30, my response to pcpunk.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#4 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

HMAC is a message authentication code (MAC) and can be used to verify the integrity and authentication of a message. It involves hashing a message with a secret key. As with any MAC, it can be used with standard hash function, such as MD5 or SHA-1, which results in methods such as HMAC-MD5 or HMAC-SHA-1. As with any hashing function, the strength depends on the quality of the hashing function, and the resulting number of code bits. Along with this the number of bits in the secret key is a factor. [Lecture] [Tutorial]

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:57 AM

Yep, read that.

I am aware that you can generate a file, and attach/generate a hash algorithm to append to that, but I am not familiar with the "message" side of things, unless it is some sort of encryption for private transmission, which one would think entailed provision to the recipient of the key to decrypt?

Let us know what you find, it is interesting.

:wizardball: Wiz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users