Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RPC, UserAccounts, MMC, Components even the Clipboard seriously compromised.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 semicodin

semicodin

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:40 PM

I've been trying multiple XP hacks but I finally give up.  I need this old PIII to hang in there with me while I install my first motherboard (2.9GHz AMD A8-3850 QUAD-CORE APU).  I just updated my About Me page and recommend reading that first for context.

Thanks, and let it never be said that I didn't warn you!! :P

semicodin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:09 AM

What is sad to me is that I still have a running Pentium II in my Garage. It seems like the older chips are more reliable than the newer ones. So it seems like it is time for an upgrade?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 semicodin

semicodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

As I said in my first post, I need this old PIII to hang in there with me

. . . while I install my first motherboard (2.9GHz AMD A8-3850 QUAD-CORE APU).

. . . on the new computer I'm building.  I'll keep plowing the internet if no one can help.  Thanks.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:58 PM

When you say 'compromised' do you mean that these parts of your beloved P3 are slowly dying, or do you mean that you suspect malware infection ? If it is the latter, then I can recommend Malwarebyres and Super Antispyware to you for assessing this problem, and CCleaner for getting rid of temporary files cluttering up your system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/superantispyware/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

With regards to the first two, if they do find any 'nasties' which they cannot deal with themselves, then start a topic in the 'Am I infected' section of BC stating what you have done. And as for CCleaner, a great little utility, just DO NOT use the registry cleaning tools that come included in it. Unless you have expert knowledge in the area of the Registry it is far better left alone.

If the problem is your P3 is just dying by inches, you have the cure in hand as a work in progress.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users