Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running a computer with XP mode

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KPMWill

KPMWill

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

I'm attempting to setup a VHD in XP mode, but the VHD wont boot all the way.

The VHD seems to boot up to the MUP.sys, then freezes up completely. Ive made some changes to it and got it to start bluescreening, but I'm not sure I'd call that progress, no matter how happy I was to see it do something new.

I was unable to generalize the drive, and do not have access to the old computer.

Edit: I have tried remaking the VHD and it didnt seem to help.

Edited by KPMWill, 15 December 2014 - 02:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KPMWill

KPMWill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

Still playing with this, I have made a second VHD, and tried using a XP CD to repair the windows files on it. Only thing I can access is the Repair console though. Going to keep toying with it for now.

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Huh? You shouldn't need to do any manual configuring for XP Mode, just download, and install.

Related: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

#4 KPMWill

KPMWill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

Yea, It should work with no changes, but for some reason, it doesnt like to load VHD's other than the XP load it came with and VHD's I then load an OS on.

What we're attempting to do is take a computer, Visualizer it, and make it usable on other systems are a VHD.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

You may have better luck using VHD's with Virtual Box.

#6 KPMWill

KPMWill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestion John, I just tried it and I seem to be getting the same result. It stops just after loading mup.sys, and wont load any further.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

That sounds like some kind of file corruption. Mup.sys has already loaded and whatever is next is causing the hang. Can you do a chkdsk on whatever you used to make the VHD?

Person with the same issue here.

#8 KPMWill

KPMWill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:36 AM

I'm using Disk2VHD-tmp.exe from Microsoft. Its really limited in what it can do. Any suggestions on a better program?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

You can create VHD's in Disk Management but I don't think you would want to do that. Virtual Box will let you create Virtual Machines but that uses existing iso files.

Here is a video using Paragon software and virtual box. Hopefully this will work better for you.

I would do a chkdsk on the computer you ran Disk2VHD.

#10 KPMWill

KPMWill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

The chkdsk didnt have any effect.

Ive managed to get my hands on the old system and was able to generalize it. I'm right now shrinking the VHD to work with XP mode. Not sure if it will work yet. I'll post an update as soon as I know more.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

If it does not work, try creating a VDI image file (VirtualBox) and see if that runs on the other computer.

#12 KPMWill

KPMWill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:37 PM

Not in the shop, but I'll give it a shot on Monday. Thanks for the tip.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

Once you have a VDI you can use the method here to copy or clone to another computer with virtual box. From what I have read VDI is more robust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users