Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Your PC needs repair" - Will not read any recovery media

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

This is either a fatal error or simple miss by me:

HP Envy 700-056 desktop. Windows 8 x64 (NOT SURE IF 8.1 IS INSTALLED)

The system began to freeze up, then was rebooted. Now it only goes to a blue screen that says:

RECOVERY

Your PC needs to be repaired

The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors

File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Error code: 0xc0000185

You'll need to use the recovery tools....etc, etc, etc.

Now according to my research this SHOULD be a x64 system, so I used the x64 Recovery/Repair disk I made back when I had 8.0 (but should work?) . It loads the HP logo screen then just keep circling endlessly. Using my 8.1 laptop I made a Recovery/Repair USB drive and tried that but it doesn't work either.

Should I let the Recovery/Repair go for 2 hours (typical repair time) or am I SOL??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

Do you have the installation disk? If so, try that.

Keep us posted.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:38 AM

You may have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to your USB Drive. The Windows 8 Recovery Disk should work if it was made for the same computer.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

I can get it to boot from USB as well as CD. After much trial and error got it to boot a Linux live USB.

But no, a recovery disk was never made for this specific system.

I'm using the recovery drive I made off my HP Pavilion laptop. Only the basic boot (512 MB) files.

Still no go.

I also tried Parted Magic and while trying to access the C: drive it froze up.

The Linux Live CD (Mint) cannot access the C: drive.

A mini XP drive also cannot access it.

I'm wondering if the drive itself is bad; however I can't get a command prompt to run chkdsk.

And the system is practically brand new.

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

I guess my next step would be to try to let the computer do the repair. I have had to use it before and sometimes it didn't work. When it did it didn't take as long as the computer estimates.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

How did you achieve that? Because all I get is the repair message.

Edited by Netghost56, 16 December 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#7 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

The last question in your post made it sound like it gave you the option to run it.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

Ah sorry. I meant that should I let the USB try to load. Which is all it does. I thought maybe it was just taking a long time to boot off the USB. Figured after two hours something would happen.

#9 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

Here is a step by step instructions from the Windows 8 Forum. Hopefully it'll help you. Let me know if this helps. If not it may be a hardware issue.

1. Boot to the System Recovery Options screen, and click/tap on Advanced options and Automatic Repair. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: Your PC may restart after this.

11881d1353866139t-automatic-repair-run-w

2. If prompted, choose the OS (ex: Windows 8) that you want to do an Automatic Repair on. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You will usually only see this if you booted from a Windows 8 installation DVD or USB thumb drive, or ISO file if in a virtual machine.

22889d1370921257t-automatic-repair-run-w

3. If prompted, select an administrator account. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: Standard user accounts and domain accounts on the computer will not be listed.

22892d1370922547t-automatic-repair-run-w

A) Type in the password for the selected administrator account, and click/tap on Continue. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: If you need to change the keyboard layout (language), then do so before entering your password so it will be the same language that the password was set in and match.

4424d1331703821t-automatic-repair-run-wi

4. Automatic Repair will now start "Diagnosing your PC", and attempt to automatically repair them. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: Automatic Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

22893d1370922798t-automatic-repair-run-w

5. If startup repair could not find problems or repair your computer, then either click/tap on Shut down to turn off your PC, or click/tap on Advanced options to go back to step 1.

NOTE: Sometimes it may take to run Automatic Repair 3 times to fix the startup issue.

4422d1331703512t-automatic-repair-run-wi

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, see that's what I want. But how to get that Menu? The system only goes to the warning after booting.

I haven't mastered all the keyboard shortcuts for win8 yet, as only 1 out of every 100 systems that cross my bench are win8.

This is where I'm at:

10wmnvc.jpg

I took my USB hotswitch cable and plugged it into my diagnostic laptop, which is 8.1 (after upgrade).

During the driver install my laptop came up asking to Scan and Repair so I chose that option. Figured I really don't have anything to lose at this point.

Will keep you apprised.

ALSO: Is there a way to copy data off a win8 system that can't boot?? Because the protected partition makes it impossible for me to go the usual route, and since I'm starting to get more win8 systems it would be nice to know how to avoid giving someone the old "I'm sorry but you've just lost everything" phone call.

Edited by Netghost56, 16 December 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#11 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

You can put the HDD into a working computer and see if Windows explorer recognizes it and transfer the files from there. If you've gone into the BIOS and changed the boot order to start from the USB drive and it isn't loading I'm sure what else to suggest. I will keep looking for an answer and someone who will know. Let me know if that works.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 16 December 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#12 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

I've tried numerous times to copy data off a win8 drive. Mounting a drive into another system is usually the first thing I do. However with a win8 drive all I can get is the partition information in the Disk Management MMC. It will show a GPT Protected Partition. The drive itself won't show in Win Explorer. I've never been able to copy data off a win8 drive unless I was able to boot it in the original system or in another system that was made for win8 ( and was compatible to the original specs).

UPDATE:

The drive will not open on my laptop. The Repair scan failed around 99% said the errors could not be fixed. I unplugged the drive from the laptop then retried it but nothing happened. I checked the Device manager and under Portable devices I had 2 listings: "G:\" and "WPD FileSystem Volume Driver". The WPD properties showed a code 43 error which I'm still looking into.

EDIT: Earlier I put the drive into my XP test machine but it only showed as a GPT partition in MMC and didn't show in Win Explorer, which is usual for me dealing with a win8 drive.

Edited by Netghost56, 16 December 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#13 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

A 43 error code is very generic and may have been cause by the USB devise. Have you tried a cold reboot? Unplugging and holding power button? or resetting the CMOS?

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:09 PM

Tried both with no change.

I just selected System Recovery from the HP Boot menu but so far it hasn't loaded. Seriously starting to wonder if this is another bad 2TB Seagate drive (apparently they are notoriously fail-prone)

Edited by Netghost56, 16 December 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#15 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

Interesting. I also have a 2T Seagate that failed within 3 or 4 months. Actually with almost the same symptoms you're having.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 16 December 2014 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users