Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan Unidentified Network - works on and off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

Hi guys,

So as you can see by the title I am having problems with my LAN, it seems to work every now and then after I tamper with it for a couple of hours; however it mostly only works in safe mode but even that is temperamental.

So I bought a new USB ethernet adapter a while ago because my onboard LAN died, since then the adapter usually stops working after I reboot.

I will post some images of config /all and stuff, but I believe the problem is to do with the DHCP on my Superhub it sometimes shows both connections in my DHCP reservation pool, but one has the name of my PC and the other is "unknown" yet it is the same device but with a different IP and MAC address.

I will post an image of my PC when it isn't working on IP Config /all.

it's really confusing as it works after many reboots and tweaks but then has periods of no functionality, one thing to note is in safe mode if it works I will use them exact settings for gateway etc.  , this is for my normal boot and it will still say "unidentified" network even though it is using the same settings as before in the safe mode when I had internet access.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers and stuff, also using the winsock reset command along with the TCP/IP Stack Reset. I think at first they helped it temporarily but I don't want to log in every day or two to find out the internet has gone again.

any solutions would be great.

Many Thanks,

Luke

Attached Files

Edited by Lukeyslife, 15 December 2014 - 11:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

the subnet mask is wrong. should be 255.255.255.0

#3 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

the subnet mask is wrong. should be 255.255.255.0

yeah that's when it isn't working, but I'm in safe mode at the moment; it's 255.255.255.0 now

the other image I uploaded is the one when it isn't working right

Edited by Lukeyslife, 15 December 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#4 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

try giving it a static ip address and then you can manually put in the subnet mask

#5 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

I did give it a static address, which did work in safe mode; I tried to use the exact same settings in normal Windows. But it just said unidentified network again

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

Nothing wrong with the subnet.  What is wrong is you are getting an apipa assigned ip address.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html

Make sure what ever software firewall you are running is configured to trust your local lan subnet.  It appears something maybe blocking you from getting he dhcp announcements. Only the usb adapter is showing up in your ipconfig. 

#7 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

Nothing wrong with the subnet.  What is wrong is you are getting an apipa assigned ip address.

Make sure what ever software firewall you are running is configured to trust your local lan subnet.  It appears something maybe blocking you from getting he dhcp announcements. Only the usb adapter is showing up in your ipconfig. 

ok thanks very much for the reply, as I'm no expert with networking I'm trying to think what maybe blocking it.

The only antivirus software I use is Avast, maybe that is the cause. I've checked windows firewall is there anything I can alter there maybe?

I will check my router as well but I'm not sure exactly what I will be looking for 

#8 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

I have just found in my router settings on my firewall security is set to low, but there is the option ticked of IP flood detection.

I looked at the firewall log and it shows every time that connection has tried to make contact with "LAN side Ping flood" next to it, should I disable the flood detect or is it something else

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

Sounds like that device maybe malware infected.

Can you do a screen post of the log?

#10 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

actually I didn't read the dates this looks old. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  hh.PNG   50.18KB   0 downloads

#11 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

however this image shows what is happening, both connections are from my PC. however one can't be recognized

Attached Files

• Attached File  aa.PNG   21.14KB   0 downloads

#12 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:45 PM

just an FYI you werent having an APIPA address. but could be infected

#13 Lukeyslife

Lukeyslife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

I believe it may be fixed now, just uninstalled Avast which probably was blocking it :) 

thanks for the help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users