Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Primary drive 0 Not Found

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ftron

Ftron

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

I have a dell Dimension 24000 computer that was running Windows XP. I formatted the Hard Drive using Active disk Hard Disk Eraser, So I could install Windows Seven on it. 

But after erasing it. I put in the Windows 7 CD and reboot, I get a message that says Primary Drive 0 Not Found. Strike F1 key to continue, F2 key to run the setup utility. When I strike F2, it just reboots back to this same screen. I did not do anything but format the Hard Drive. I never messed with any hardware.

Can anyone tell me why this happened.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:28 AM

It sounds like it's bypassing the optical drive and trying to boot directly to the Hard Drive. If you tap F12 at boot does it give the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive?

I believe there is also a Diagnostic utility you can run by tapping F12.

#3 Ftron

Ftron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

When I went to F2  and set the boot sequence to boot from CD first, it did. And it did boot to the CD, but when I clicked on install Windows, the Window CD put out a message saying, to install Windows, a Hard Disk must be installed. 

Sorry I forgot to mention this at the beginning.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

Is there a diagnostic utility shown when you tap F12? Run that and see what it says.

Edit: If you used Active Disk eraser, you zeroed out the drive and that may be why Windows does not see it. You can create a bootable disk of Partition Wizard. It should see the drive. Partition and format the drive to NTFS. Then see if Windows 7 install disk can see the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 December 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#5 Ftron

Ftron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

There is no Diagnostic in F2. I downloaded the program you suggested and put it on a CD, then tried to boot up the computer in question. But it won't boot up. It goes back to the same screen. 

Could I have burned that while the wrong way? it downloaded into a zip file. I extracted the files, then burn then to a CD. If I'm suppose to do this a different way, please let me know.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

There should only be one file, an iso file. You would burn the iso file, not extract it. What did you use to burn the file? If you are on a Windows 7 computer, simply right click the iso file and select Burn Image File. On a XP computer you can use a program called isoburner. If you extracted or unzipped the iso file and put the files on a CD it will not boot.

Edit: The diagnostic utility is not selected with F2. You need to tap F12 at boot.  There should be a menu that allows you to select Diagnostics.

Edit: Do you have Winrar installed on the computer or some other archiver that shows an iso file as being able to be unzipped?

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 December 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

Might want to first go into the bios and make sure the drive is detected and listed.  It may have died which is why you are seeing the message.

#8 Ftron

Ftron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

JohnC_21 When I go to the link you posted it only gives one choice for download. When I click on that choice, I get the file I mentioned above. I cannot see any another files to download from that site. I'm sorry.

I want to do what Wand3r3r suggested. But how do I check for my Hard Drive on BIOS?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

Wand3r3r's suggestion was a good one. Tap F2 at boot to enter BIOS and see if the HDD is detected.

I am not sure I understand your question. Which file are you talking about? isoburner or Partition Wizard? If you click the link for Isoburner and the file does not download, you can click  "Click Here" on the download page.

#10 Ftron

Ftron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

In BIOS the only place I see the words Hard Drive is, IDE Hard Drive Acoustics mode, next to that, it says (Bypass) 

In another spot in bios, it says, Hard Disk Drive Sequence, next to that it says, (ENTER)

The only other place I see The words Hard Drive in BIOS is when I click on Boot Sequence. I n Boot Sequence it says, Hard Disk Drive (Not Installed)

As for the link you suggested. There is only one icon on it that says download on it. When I click on it, what is downloaded is a zip file. You said it is suppose to be an ISO file. There are no more download icons on that website for me to click on.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:33 AM

If BIOS does not detect the drive "Hard Disk Drive (Not Installed)", then there isn't anything that can help using software. The hard drive or motherboard has failed. It's possible doing the wipe caused the hard drive to fail if it was close to failing. You may want to try reattaching the hard drive cable at both ends. If it is a SATA drive with the red data cable, try another SATA port on the motherboard. Always remove the power cord and ground yourself on the metal case before doing it. This is a desktop, correct?

I just clicked the Partition Wizard link for download and got an iso file pwhe8.1.iso, not a zip file. Here is the direct link. For isoburner, it's a exe file. Here is the direct link.

Edit: Did you get a Diagnostic Option when tapping F12 at boot?

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 December 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#12 Ftron

Ftron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

I put a different Hard Drive that already has Windows XP on it, on the computer, and it booted up. Now how can I format this Hard Drive so I can Installed Windows seven on it. For some reason My windows seven CD does not give me the option of formatting the Hard Drive. The only 2 choices it gives me is install new, or repair an old. When I click on install new, it tells me that there is an operating system already on the Hard Drive, and that it will store the older operating system in a file named Windows Old, and continue to install the newer version. The problem with this, is that by Windows 7 saving the older version of windows XP, it is taking up space in the 40 GB hard drive that I have. 

This happened the last time. I allowed windows seven to save the older version, but it took up to much of the hard drive. so I went into Drive C and deleted the Windows Old. But that did not open up any room in the Hard drive. That is the reason I used Active disk Hard Disk Eraser. I really do not want to use active again, and have the same thing happen again. Is there another way to format a Hard drive.

As for the file you are asking me to download, I did click on the new link that you sent me, and it did take me to a different web page. From there I downloaded a file named (pwhe8.exe). Then I clicked on the other link you sent me and I downloaded an ISO Burner. But I'm having a hard time burning it, because when I right click on the file, the burner does not show up. When I tried to put the file into the burner, the burner will not accept it. It says file not found. 

​As for your question, if there is a Diagnostic option when I tap F2. Unfortunately  no such option. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

It should not be pwhe8.exe. It should be pwhe8.1.iso  I just clicked the link in post #11 and it has an iso extension, not a exe extension. I am not sure what the problem is.

You can wipe the drive doing the following method if you cannot get Partition Wizard to download.

First boot the Window 7 install disk and go to a command prompt.

At the command prompt type

Diskpart

At the diskpart command prompt type

list disk   <enter>

Look at the list, If this computer only has one hard drive you should see only disk 0 listed. If there is more than one hard drive in the computer, make sure of the one you want to work on as all data will be erased.

Type:

Select disk X   <enter>   Where X is the number of the drive you want to clean.

Type:

clean   <enter>

This will wipe the partition table and will make Windows 7 think the drive is blank.

After it is done type

exit

Then start the install by rebooting the computer with the WIndows 7 install disk.

#14 Ftron

Ftron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

When I booted Windows 7. I do not get a commend prompt. The choice I get are as follows.

1- Install now

When I click on install now, choices, upgrade to a newer version of Windows,

And install a new copy of Windows. I clicked on install a newer version. Now it says. Where do you want to install Windows. It show Disk 0 Partition 1. Then it give me the choices,

1-Refresh

2-Load Driver

3-Delete

4-Format

5-Next

When I click on format, nothing happens. If I click on next, it starts saving the old Windows and installing the new one. I’m not sure if I should click on delete Partition.

2-What to know before installing Windows.

When I click on What to know before installing windows, I get a pop explaining all the things I should check  and do before installing. Like back up my files, etc.

3-Fix your computer

When I go to fix your computer. It take me to system recovery. Besides recovering the system, the only other choice there is install drivers.

#15 Ftron

Ftron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

I don't know what is happening with the file you want me to download. I assure I'm going to the links that you are sending me. But for some reason, I get a different download then you do. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users