Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Flashes Power LED On & Off

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CodyH

CodyH

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:14 AM

I aqquired a Toshiba C75D-A7370 laptop, from my information I was told that it slid off the bed and hit the floor. Now when the power button is pressed, the white power LED turns on, then turns right back off. I have tryed reseating the memory, HDD, and pulled the CMOS battery. Pulled the laptops battery and held power button for a minute and reinserted. Also tryed an external monitor. I am assuming the motherboard is toast. I split the case cleaned the dust out and inspected, nothing out of ordinary. Any other thing I should try before I put a board in it? Thanks for your input guys. :idea:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

It can be a lot of things if the laptop took a nose dive. It could be that it landed on the power cord/port where the power plugs in and broke it or in some cases busted it off the circuit board where it is solder on. It depends on how bad the dmg is if it can be repaired. So a repair could be as much as a power port 5 bucks compared to a new motherboard costing a lot more.

#3 CodyH

CodyH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

When the power cord is plugged in it indicates that it is charging. I get the white LED flash when the power button is pressed. I did not see any evident damage to the board but I guess it is time for a new one.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

While the motherboard was pulled; was the CPU re-seated?

Also; remove the mobo and try powering-on with just monitor, CPU, and RAM connected. Just let the mobo hang (make sure it is not shorted out anywhere).

mobo_zpsa376c47d.jpg

#5 CodyH

CodyH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

I popped it back open once more, cpu is permanentley mounted, did try to power it on with it raised about the case, and I get the same results. Like I said before, I dont see any kind of visual cracking of any solder, whats the possibility of reflowing the cpu to fix the issue?

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

Reflow the on-board graphics. Of course if it is successful, there is no guarantee it will be permanent. We have reflowed many; a small percentage have lasted more than a year (say 5 of about 30). Some last a week, a month, a couple months or several. I stay in touch with one client that I reflowed about 4 years ago. Still going.

Appears that you have covered troubleshooting.

Have you connected a different charger? One could pop into Best Buy and tell them you may need to buy a new charger and ask them to test your theory by plugging it up and powering it on.

#7 CodyH

CodyH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

Yes I have 2 of the chargers, so chances are the GPU is the issue? I get no beeps, no fan, not anything. Looks like I may need to find someone to reflow, or do you have a preferred method?

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

So it does this both on battery and wall power?

#9 CodyH

CodyH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

That is correct.

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

That's a fairly new laptop. Seems as if the CPU is also the GPU. Does it have any signs of scorching. Something similar to this?

3_zpse552b698.jpg

I don't know that a reflow is the solution and in my opinion should be used as a last resort.

Does the CPU get warm when power is initiated? I understand the machine only blinks briefly; but if you keep pushing the power button is there any heat at all?

Were the fans clogged?

Edited by bludgard, 18 December 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#11 CodyH

CodyH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

No scorching at all, will reply alittle later to let you know of any heat. There was some dust, but not clogged.

Edited by CodyH, 18 December 2014 - 05:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users