Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot. Just a Loud fan and a Blank Screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 1001help

1001help

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi everyone. I'm having an issue with my computer and I don't know how to fix it or what is wrong. This problem just randomly happened. a few days ago, I turned it on and no matter how long I wait, nothing happens. normally, when I turn it on, the fan will be loud for like 3-4 seconds and it will show Dell and other stuff on the screen as its booting, after those 3-4 seconds, the fan becomes very quite and everything loads on the screen. but now, the fan stays loud and never becomes quite and the screen just stays black with absolutely nothing on it. do you know whats wrong and how I can fix it?

my computer is a Dell Inspiron 530s with windows vista. (32-bit)

heres the owners manual (if it helps)

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530s_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

I opened it up and made sure all the wires were connected securely and visibly, nothing looks wrong. although I don't know very much about computers so I could be wrong. I also noticed, theres an orange light on the inside. but I think it was already like that. on the back of the computer, there is a green light. there are no beep codes.

I'm guessing this is a hardware failure. and if it helps, I have an old laptop that I can use to salvage for parts.

(if they would even be compatable)

If you can help, it would be greatly apprechiated. theres a lot of important things on my hard drive and it would be horrible if I couldn't ever access them again.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

Many times, you can fix this by reseating the ram modules.

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 15 December 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#3 1001help

1001help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

Many times, you can fix this by reseating the ram modules.

ok. I did that. its still not working.

#4 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

Does the computer have any video cards?

#5 PhantomZwei

PhantomZwei

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

If you have more than one memory stick, did you try just taking one of them out and attempting to boot?

#6 1001help

1001help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

Does the computer have any video cards?

no. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I didn't know what a video card was or what it looked like so I looked it up and I'm almost certain my comp doesn't have one. it looks like the monitor connector just connects to the motherboard.

#7 1001help

1001help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

If you have more than one memory stick, did you try just taking one of them out and attempting to boot?

I haven't tried that but I will now and let you know what happens. I did re-seat both memory mods though

#8 1001help

1001help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

ok I took one out and it is working but I don't know what to do. does that mean I need to replace that memory stick? also, the screen has stuff on it now and the fan quieted down but this is what is says on the screen:

Diskette drive 0 seek failure

CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded

Press f1 to continue, f2 to enter SETUP

I'm guessing that's because I reseated the CMOS battery to try and solve this problem.

#9 1001help

1001help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:54 PM

ok, I clicked f2 and went to the CMOS setup. I did "load defaults" and then a few things happened but it went back to the same screen.

just a black screen with those two options again. (the f1 to continue, and f2 to enter setup.)

this time I pressed f1 and it loaded my OS, I typed in my password, and everything looks like its working.

I restarted and the same message happened again but I looked it up and fixed it. so now no error messages, and my computer boots fine albeit a little slow. so do you think it was just a memory mod malfunction since its working now? and should I replace that memory mod?

Thank you so much!!! I'm so relieved that my HD is ok.

#10 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

Yes, all you need to do is replace the malfunctioning memory module, possibly with something a level up than the old module. Make sure you find what the type of ram module it was, so you can buy the right one.

As for your slowness problem, IF the computer is 64 bit then the more RAM, the better.

Since your computer is 32 bit, make sure the RAM total does not exceed 3-4 gigabytes!

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 20 December 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#11 PhantomZwei

PhantomZwei

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

ok, I clicked f2 and went to the CMOS setup. I did "load defaults" and then a few things happened but it went back to the same screen.

just a black screen with those two options again. (the f1 to continue, and f2 to enter setup.)

this time I pressed f1 and it loaded my OS, I typed in my password, and everything looks like its working.

I restarted and the same message happened again but I looked it up and fixed it. so now no error messages, and my computer boots fine albeit a little slow. so do you think it was just a memory mod malfunction since its working now? and should I replace that memory mod?

Thank you so much!!! I'm so relieved that my HD is ok.

Glad to see it was just a bad memory stick :) I would replace the bad stick as programs within windows rely on memory (which is why it may seem slow booting up). Also, the information you need to get a new memory stick should be on the psychical stick. By looking up the your computer model it looks like it takes DDR2 800 (PC2-6400). You can also use this website to figure out what you need. You just find your computer brand, model, and it will tell you what you need. They also have a scanner you can download as well.
http://www.crucial.com/

#12 1001help

1001help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

Yes, all you need to do is replace the malfunctioning memory module, possibly with something a level up than the old module. Make sure you find what the type of ram module it was, so you can buy the right one.

As for your slowness problem, IF the computer is 64 bit then the more RAM, the better.

Since your computer is 32 bit, make sure the RAM total does not exceed 3-4 gigabytes!

Glad to see it was just a bad memory stick :) I would replace the bad stick as programs within windows rely on memory (which is why it may seem slow booting up). Also, the information you need to get a new memory stick should be on the psychical stick. By looking up the your computer model it looks like it takes DDR2 800 (PC2-6400). You can also use this website to figure out what you need. You just find your computer brand, model, and it will tell you what you need. They also have a scanner you can download as well.
http://www.crucial.com/

Thank you both SOO much!!! you guys are awesome!! :thumbup2:

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

FWIW:  I would not assume that it was a bad memory module, looking at the totality of error screens you report.

One of the things I have seen occur with a failing CMOS battery...is a series of error messages about various hardware components and dysfunction when trying to change/save CMOS settings.

I can't say that is your prevailing situation...but I know that it only costs a few dollars to buy a new CMOS battery and install it...and I would do that before I started interpreting apparent hardware errors/situations...that might be CMOS-battery related.

You can run Memtest 86+ or any othr reliable memory test...if you really want to verify that you have a bad module.

Louis

#14 1001help

1001help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:25 PM

FWIW:  I would not assume that it was a bad memory module, looking at the totality of error screens you report.

One of the things I have seen occur with a failing CMOS battery...is a series of error messages about various hardware components and dysfunction when trying to change/save CMOS settings.

I can't say that is your prevailing situation...but I know that it only costs a few dollars to buy a new CMOS battery and install it...and I would do that before I started interpreting apparent hardware errors/situations...that might be CMOS-battery related.

You can run Memtest 86+ or any othr reliable memory test...if you really want to verify that you have a bad module.

Louis

sorry for my late response.

ok. thanks for your input. I think I'll try that first. Something that i thought was interesting was that when there was the error message about a diskette  drive (Something my computer never had) I looked up how to fix it and it had to do with changing some settings in the CMOS and then saving them. well I did and I saved it but then I went on my computer like 2 days later and the same thing happened. as if the settings didn't save.

the CMOS battery is pretty old so yeah. I think I'll replace it. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users