Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to backup files while encountering blue screen and infinite reboot loop?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TooChickenToAskDad

TooChickenToAskDad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:59 AM

Hello! I am desperate to backup all the files on my computer before resetting my laptop to factory settings. I don't want to ask my dad to help, because he is going to scold me for my idiocity. (I should've asked him for a larger external hard drive. My mistake.) I am going to explain the entire story to inform you know how I got to my current situation.

It all started off by an issue with my keyboard. The shift key was locked, so I did a system restore. That didn't fix the keyboard issue. Then I tried backing up all my files onto my external hard drive before doing a further system restore, but I didn't have enough space on it. I still decided to go ahead with the system restore, and restored my computer to the only available point prior to the keyboard issue, a point two years ago. (Probably the day I got my computer.) I thought it would work and didn't expect my files to encounter any danger, so I proceeded without backing up all my files. So now, when my computer tries to load in safe mode, it is stuck in an infinite reboot loop, never loading the start page. If I try to load it normally, I get the blue screen of death. A picture of it is an attached file below.

I want to save both my files and my computer, but most importantly my files. I would be really really grateful if someone could figure out and teach me how to back up my files before I do a factory reset, or recover my computer so I don't have to do either of those. Though I think it would be good if I reset my entire computer at some point. Thank you all for any and all help!

-Chicken

P.S.: My computer is a Lenovo E530 with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Attached Files

Edited by TooChickenToAskDad, 15 December 2014 - 05:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hello, and Welcome

You can transfer your files using a small linux distro like Puppy linux. I would download v5.2.8 here. Burn the iso file on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Image File. If you are on a XP computer you can burn the iso using either Imgburn or Isoburner if your burning software does not burn images.

If you do not have a CD or DVD disk to burn you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select MBR partition scheme in the dropdown box. Everything else is default. In the dropdown box that shows Freedos, select iso image. Click the small icon and browse to the Puppy iso you downloaded. Press start. Any data on the USB flash drive will be erased.

Tapping F12 during boot should bring up a boot menu where you can select the DVD/CD drive as a boot device. If using a USB flash drive attach it before booting the computer.

Once on the Puppy desktop click once on the drive icon in the lower left. This should be sda1 for your laptop. A green dot will appear on the drive icon which indicates the drive is mounted and a File Manager will open. Connect your external drive to the laptop. A USB icon will appear next to the CD/DVD drive icon. Click once on it, the drive will mount and another File Manager window will open. On the File Manager Window of the hard drive you can browse to what folders or files you want to back up. You can select them by either left clicking while holding the Ctrl key or by left clicking and dragging a window around the folders/files you want. After they are highlighted, left click and drag them to the File Manager Windows of the USB external drive. A small dialog window will open asking if you want to copy or move the files. Select Copy.

Here is a guide on Puppy's use. You do not have to do the disk check as shown in the guide.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 December 2014 - 09:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users