Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optical Drives Not Working All Of A Sudden.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:30 PM

Hey gang,

I am little stumped.

My main computer, the mobo has three IDE channels. In channel #1 I have two optical drives, one master one slave. In #2 I have a hard drive (auxilary - the main hard drive is SATA) and #3 is blank.

I was shutting down the computer and I got a blue screen. 0x000000C4 was the error message. I rebooted and now my two optical drives do nothing. No lights. No sounds. They are not detected in BIOS. I plugged them into #3, no diff. I changed the power connectors, no diff.

Any ideas where to go with this, or what happened?

If this sheds any light on it, I have had a small issue for the past couple of days with my monitors (I have two hooked up to a 128 MB video card). The two monitors take turns acting up. And by acting up I mean the color is not exactly right, or I see a small ghost, etc.

I have a new video card and just figured I would swap them at some point, but now this optical drive problem.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

Hi AF.
Bummer deal, doesn't sound good.
Do you have a multimeter?
I know you said you switched power leads but I would still check them.
On a standard 4 pin molex connector, yellow should be +12, red+5 and the two blacks ground.
I'm sure you've already checked out the error message and found it's driver related.
If your power leads check out ok, I'd try reinstalling the mainboard drivers.
If that doesn't work, the problem gets worse, if ya know what I mean.
Either the PS is failing under a load, data cable is shot or your mainboard went on a walkabout.

Edited by HitSquad, 19 June 2006 - 01:17 PM.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:15 PM

Fatal System Error: 0x000000C4 If Deadlock Detection in Driver Verifier Is Turned on and Norton Antivirus Is Installed

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=325672

I hope you ain't got any Symantec products.

Have a good day

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:42 PM

I would be very disappointed if AF hadn't already read that article and checked it. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 19 June 2006 - 01:42 PM.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:09 PM

Thanks to both of you. I have read that article, but it doesn't apply as I don't have any Norton products.

UPDATE: My Optical drives are back! But now my auxilary hard drive has dissapeared. This is not looking good. I am leaning towards mobo related, huh? The changes came after a reboot.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

Like I suggested in my original reply AF, I'm not so sure this couldn't be a power supply failure.
If a drive isn't receiving any\enough juice, obviously neither windows or the bios will pick it up.
It's entirely possible that the mainboard is getting funky but not the only suspect.
I would still start by re-installing my mainboard drivers. If it doesn't work, it didn't cost you any $$. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 19 June 2006 - 03:02 PM.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the input.

I have been meaning to install a larger hard drive in this computer, perhaps now is the time to do it! I'll keep you posted, and yes, I agree, it could be the power supply also. Sure is buggy behavior, and a bit unpredictable, too! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:06 PM

I have been meaning to install a larger hard drive in this computer

I never suggested that. :thumbsup:

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:43 PM

I never suggested that.

All I meant is I have been meaning to give this computer some attention, such as it needs a bigger hard drive, the video card is acting up (although that could be a driver issue) and now today's issue (perhaps power supply).

At any rate, I will install a new hard drive, and thereby the drivers will be 'reinstalled' and be fresh and new. If the video problem continues then I will replace the video card. If the optical drive issue continues, then I will check the power leads with a multimeter as suggested. But right now the optical drives are working again.

Thanks again.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

So, I have installed windows on a new 250 GB hard drive, and I installed drivers from my mobo manufacturers web site just in case there were any new ones, however it looks to be the same drivers I used before.

The optical drives are working fine.

I am still occasionally getting some irregularities in color and the occasional ghost in my monitors, perhaps I will change out my video card now.

But no more apparent power anomalies so far!

Thanks for the ideas!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users