Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarting randomly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rokamas

rokamas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hi guys, first post here

I'm currently running off onboard graphics - this only seems to happen when using my video card(s). I suspected PSU, however i've bought a second one and this problem happens with both of them, although they are both  the same model of PSU.

Computer boots fine, then reboots seemingly randomly anywhere from 1minute - 20 minutes of usage or so. All fans are running fine, heatsinks firm etc.

I'm also switching between two graphics cards when testing - a second one I got from a friend which has worked fine previously.

Therefore the problem must be mainboard/software/memory related? Looking for some suggestions if anybody has any. Thanks in advance

System -

Core i5 3470, ASRock B75M-DGS R2 Mainboard, Corsair 8gb DDR3, Tested GPUS are GTX560 and a GTX560 Ti.

Running windows 7 64 bit

Edited by rokamas, 14 December 2014 - 11:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hello Rokamas, and welcome to BC!

The only way to find the problem is test your components 1x1. You have already exchanged the power supply, so that is done. Please continue using the integrated graphics (onboard video). Remove all USB devices, leaving the USB ports clear.

> When is the last time you cleaned the box of dust? If you haven't, open the side and check for dust accumulation, especially in the CPU fan heatsink. What temperature is your CPU running at? If you need a temperature monitor, Open Hardware is one of the best and free. Let it run diminished and check your CPU, Video and box temperatures occasionally. Overheating is a major source of random restarts.

> Now test your memory:

Download Memtest 86+ , the "precompiled Bootable ISO (zip)" file (free) from my link; burn it to a CD. Be sure your BIOS is set to CD=1st boot device, Hard Drive=2nd boot device; reboot with the CD in your DVD drive. You will see the screen appear and the testing will automatically start. When it has completed all the tests, the message "press key to exit" will appear. Any errors found will be listed, even one error means that stick of memory is bad. I suggest testing each stick separately if you have more than one installed.

> If your memory tests as good, try entering Safe Mode. Do the crashes stop or not? If they do stop, that tells us that the problem is probably software, most likely driver conflicts and we can proceed from there.

> If your computer still crashes in Safe Mode, and your memory has tested good, test your hard drive. I do not think that is the problem, but it is quick and easy and we must test everything:

Download Seatools For DOS (free) from my link; in the site screen click "Seatools For DOS" link, then accept the Eula and download. Burn it to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. If Seatools reports that it has been tripped that is a bad sign. Next click the upper left corner of the screen for the long test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate.

> Post back with the above test results.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 December 2014 - 09:58 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 rokamas

rokamas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for your help.

Used windows memory test with no errors shown - used Seatools with no errors shown for smart or simple self tests. My box is fairly clean.

Open hardware showed 40 degrees at idle for CPU, and about the same for GPU. Up to 50-60 when stressing, which often caused a crash with the 560 Ti. The gtx560 appears to still be restarting randomly. This restarting behaviour continued in safe mode for the gtx560, with no change after uninstalling onboard graphics drivers or updating GeForce drivers.

Based on this, I think it's wouldn't be ridiculous to speculate that both graphics cards may be faulty. I will source another to test with and report back if unusual things continue! Thanks again.

Edited by rokamas, 16 December 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:52 AM

Thank you for following up.... don't rule out the possibility that your PCIe slot may have gone bad. Try blowing it out with compressed air.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:06 AM

Just a thought: Since both graphic cards are very similar do they share drivers? It may be that the drivers are interfering with each other. Also have you uninstalled all current drivers and reinstalled fresh ones? Older drivers left behind can also cause problems.

#6 rokamas

rokamas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:24 AM

If anyone is interested, the mobo stopped outputting onboard video a day or so after this - completely borked. Replaced with a new Asus mobo and everything is fine, even the aforementioned GPUs.

#7 Rrocha

Rrocha

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

I was having a similar issue, thanks for bring your solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users