Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Reviving and upgrading previously infected Gateway PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 simplesimpleton

simplesimpleton

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

I have a Gateway gt5654 desktop that I've had since 2007 that has been sitting in my room gathering dust for the last two years.Its only current function is providing wifi and an ethernet connection for my router. I quit using it and essentially gave up on it after continual virus infections with the last one preventing a regular start up and getting a blue screen error message.A lot of this was so long ago that I can't give specifics but I'll post a link to all of my previous threads and posts regarding the previous issues I faced. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/801134/simplesimpleton/

What I want to do now is revive it and slowly invest in upgrades based on the cheapest/efficient hardware I can use for optimal performance when it comes to video editing and CGI. I plan on using the desktop primarily for Adobe AE, Premiere, and Blender.

I no longer care for any of the data thats left on the harddrive so I was planning to completely replace the harddrive as my best chance of not having this recurring string of viruses and infections that have been plaguing my desktop for the last two years of its use. The fan would also make incredibly loud noise sounding like it was over exerting itself most of the time. Here's a link for the specs of my desktop

http://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-gt5654-athlon-64-x2-5000-plus-2-6-ghz-3-gb-400-gb/specs/

So my main focusing points are what do I NEED to replace or wipe and what hardware is priority in terms of slowly upgrading for the long term on an almost non existant budget.

Any tips,advice, or previous experience is greatly appreciated :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:18 AM

When you completely replace the hard drive, that's all you need to do in terms of wiping. You could even just use dban to wipe the old hard drive, and then there would be nothing about the computer that could carry over virus-wise. But do you have a windows disc, or some gateway recovery disc, or is it on a partition on the hard drive? If it's on the hard drive, then you will want to use the factory reset process - using dban would wipe that out leaving you with no windows.

I really don't know if upgrading this old thing is the right way to go in the long run.

If you have Vista 32 bit, then you can't get more ram because you need 64 bit windows to use more than 3 gigs ram.

Hardware priority for upgrading is Video Card, then Ram. Make sure whatever video card you buy actually fits into the motherboard, and fits in the case. Some video cards require a power wire to be connected to them (usually a 6 pin). Your power supply probably doesn't have that connector, but you can use an adapter that connects to the standard "molex" D plugs. The faster and better they get, the more power a video card requires. So depending on what card you get, you may have to upgrade your power supply for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users