Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System hang (at least I think it's that)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 achevy

achevy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

So.  Back in May I finally got a new computer.  Worked well for the first few days...then I started experiencing this wonderful freezing issue that appeared out of the blue, which has managed to survive a few system resets and a new hard drive.

Basically, every hour or so, my laptop would freeze up...mouse would still be moving around but that's about it.  Whatever song I would be playing on my media player would get stuck, whatever video I might be watching at the time would stop, and so on.  I'd restart, and I'd have a whole blessed hour-ish...before it would freeze up again.  This would occur 2-4 times a night.

I tried 1-2 system resets and things ran swimmingly for a day or so before starting up again.  Got a new hard drive after the first one failed, and same thing - worked well for 2 or so days, then started freezing again.  The only difference is, with the new, current hard drive, it isn't freezing as frequently.  I'd say this happens every other day, once to maybe twice a night, usually starts happening after an hour and a half or two hours.  In addition, rather than just completely seizing up right away, I typically have a few seconds where I can click around, quickly write something before a restart is necessary.  No idea if it's a temperature issue.

So, even though this isn't happening as frequently now, it's still an issue that I'd like to get help for, as it's something of a limiting factor in terms of actually being productive, even if it ends up freezing up just once or not at all.  I would not count myself as a computer-savvy individual, try as I might, so that just throws me for even more of a loop whenever I try to figure this out for myself.

Any assistance/nudges in the right direction would be greatly, greatly appreciated. 

Edit: some specs.

Operating System - Windows 8.1, 64-bit, x64-based processor

4.00 GB RAM (3.90 GB usable)

Processor - Intel® Pentium® CPU N3520 @ 2.16GHz

599 GB free of 679 GB

Edited by achevy, 14 December 2014 - 10:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhantomZwei

PhantomZwei

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:38 PM

Hello!

Normally when freezing occurs it means overheating, hard drive is going bad, or a driver/software issue. Seeing as though the hard drive was already replaced I'd lean more towards overheating or drivers. I would download this and keep and eye on the temps for the processor. From what I see the max temp for your processor is 105c.
 http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If its not the temps it is then software based. If you have an antivurs program installed, make sure you don't have a 2nd one installed. Otherwise they will "attack" each other and cause the system to freeze.

Lastly, make sure your drivers on the machine are up to date.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users