Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with upgrading ram

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 forthelove334

forthelove334

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

currently i have 2gb and really needing to upgrade ram as my browsers keep freezing when using multiple tabs for work purposes. I'm somewhat familiar but not a pro..

I did a scan on crucial to detect my system and upgrades available and hoping someone can lead me in the right direction so I get the most affordable, quality, and dont mess anything up

you can see the scan here

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/scanview/F9E82EFB31D926C3

I am a bit confused where it says

Notes about your system:

Maximum memory using PC2-4200 or PC2-5300 is 8192MB. Maximum memory using PC2-6400 is 4096MB.Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Edited by forthelove334, 14 December 2014 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

You don't mention how much you're looking to spend.

I'd recommend two 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300, if you can spend the money.  It will bring you up to 6GB and allow you to keep your existing RAM.  If you wanted to purchase four to put in the maximum amount of RAM you would need to remove the existing RAM.

The maximum RAM you can have is 8GB.  You'll get the best performance if you install the RAM in pairs, but it will work if you want to purchase just one.

#3 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

do you know anything about the

"Maximum memory using PC2-4200 or PC2-5300 is 8192MB. Maximum memory using PC2-6400 is 4096MB.Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules."

I remember getting my cpu fixed a few years ago and i think the guy said the most i could get up to is 4gb? so you're saying i could get 6?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:56 AM

According to the Crucial note "Notes about your system: Maximum memory using PC2-4200 or PC2-5300 is 8192MB. Maximum memory using PC2-6400 is 4096MB."

Currently you have two PC2-5300 memory modules installed, per the Crucial scan.  So, according to that note you can add two more PC2-5300 modules that are 2GB to get a total of 6GB.

Personally I've never heard of such a situation, where the speed of the RAM affects the amount you can install, but Crucial is in the memory business and knows their products.

Worst case you would end up with 4GB of RAM.

Another thing that comes into play is if you're using a 32-bit operating system you can only access 4GB of RAM, actually a little less.

#5 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:45 PM

I think thats what the guy was saying about it only being able to get 4 gig..

so in that situation what would you reccomend to top out at 4gig and not waste mony on something i cant get anyway

#6 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

still trying to get  this fixed..

with 32bit what ones would you recommend?

thank you

According to the Crucial note "Notes about your system: Maximum memory using PC2-4200 or PC2-5300 is 8192MB. Maximum memory using PC2-6400 is 4096MB."

Currently you have two PC2-5300 memory modules installed, per the Crucial scan.  So, according to that note you can add two more PC2-5300 modules that are 2GB to get a total of 6GB.

Personally I've never heard of such a situation, where the speed of the RAM affects the amount you can install, but Crucial is in the memory business and knows their products.

Worst case you would end up with 4GB of RAM.

Another thing that comes into play is if you're using a 32-bit operating system you can only access 4GB of RAM, actually a little less.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

I like how that crucial tool gave you suggestions for pc6400 but says you have pc 5300 currently installed.

I suggest these from NewEgg they are pc 5300 1.8 volt and should work with what you have in there bringing you to 4 gig ram

1x 1x 1x 1x

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231108

PS> I would not get the one Kilroy suggested ...

DDR memory should be added in pairs.  That is a 2 gig chip you would need two of them an since we dont know your possible memory configurations without access to the motherboard manual It may not work unless you get two.

The one I suggested is 2x 1 gig which should work just fine. no offense Kilroy

Edited by YeahBleeping, 02 January 2015 - 10:22 PM.

#8 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:18 AM

Thank you.... i already have 2 gb would it be okay to just get 2 more 1 gig with what you suggest or should i get 2 packs (4 total) of what u linked 

I like how that crucial tool gave you suggestions for pc6400 but says you have pc 5300 currently installed.

I suggest these from NewEgg they are pc 5300 1.8 volt and should work with what you have in there bringing you to 4 gig ram

1x 1x 1x 1x

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231108

PS> I would not get the one Kilroy suggested ...

DDR memory should be added in pairs.  That is a 2 gig chip you would need two of them an since we dont know your possible memory configurations without access to the motherboard manual It may not work unless you get two.

The one I suggested is 2x 1 gig which should work just fine. no offense Kilroy

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:14 AM

No just buy one.

It should work fine with your existing memory.

I mean you CAN buy 2 .. (total 4) if you wanted to have all the memory be the same.. but I figure you want to save money and not do that ..

The two pack should work just fine with your existing memory. I simply don't want to tell you what to do unless you want to get all 4 thats all.

#10 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

Thanks.. I purchased a 2 gig.. it scared me at first because cpu wouldnt boot i accidently knocked the hard drive cord out while installing... 

however i am only getting 3.25 gb

my 4 slots are seperated by 2's ... as in          2 slots   I  I             space         I  I    other 2 slots...

my old ram had one on the first section of slots and 1 on the other so i just put the new ones in the empty ones, i know something was said about pairing should i do     both new rams in a section and the old in one or does that make a difference

i would just like to get as much ram as possible 3.25 close to only being 3gb

No just buy one.

It should work fine with your existing memory.

I mean you CAN buy 2 .. (total 4) if you wanted to have all the memory be the same.. but I figure you want to save money and not do that ..

The two pack should work just fine with your existing memory. I simply don't want to tell you what to do unless you want to get all 4 thats all.

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hello.

This is typical and perfectly normal for a pc with onboard graphics and a 32bit OS.

The system sees the memory just fine as it is showing more than 3 gig available.

You would have to go to a 64 Bit OS to ' see/use ' more than 4 gig.  Anyway.  If your still looking for perfornace enhancement I suggest looking into an SSD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users