Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I uninstall Powershell???

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 timb120

timb120

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

How do I uninstall Powershell?  It's causing computer games to minimize and programs to hang every minute, making work extremely frustrating and difficult.  (I do video game art)  How do I get rid of it permanently?  I don't want it on my computer at all.  It's a useless program.  I can't find it in the list of updates or installed programs, but it's there.  Please help me guys!  This stupid Powershell is just as bad as a virus!  I'm fixing to find everything with the word "Powershell" in it and deleting it manually.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:58 PM

You can uninstall it by going to Installed Updates.

1. Click on “Control Panel” in “Start menu”
2. Go to “Uninstall a program” in “Control Panel”
3. Click on “View installed updates” in “Programs and Features”
4. Right click on Update which reads Powershell and uninstall it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 timb120

timb120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

I can't find it in the list of installed programs or updates.

#4 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

Powershell isn't your problem; Poweliks most likely is. Download/run the Poweliks removal tool from Eset or Symantic.

#5 timb120

timb120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

Is Poweliks the new fad hackers are doing to piss people off?  Because it's working.  I'll take it look at it but I still want powershell off my computer.  Any help would be much appreciated.

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

Powliks will patch your machine with latest version of powershell if powershell is already not installed.
So, if you find multiple dllhost.exe (comsurrogate) or conhost.exe with registry entries in their commandline argument (check taskmanager for details) making your pc crawl, you are infected, most probably..
For information, read the article (donot attempt fix unless you are pretty sure of doing it)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-poweliks-trojan
Powliks is expected to call his friends to your machine sooner or later.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 14 December 2014 - 10:09 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#7 timb120

timb120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the tip. Apparently I had the virus. The link you provide basically went through every problem I was having. I downloaded the Symantic tool, used it as per their instructions and the report said it removed it. I'm going to do a virus scan with 360 Total Security followed by Malwarebytes. Any other suggestions?

I really wish these losers would get laid or something so they wouldn't feel like being a menace to society.

Edited by timb120, 14 December 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

Thank you for letting us you you seem to have resolved your issue. Do you still want to keep your Malware Topic open? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559609/something-is-wrong-with-ie/

If not, I can close it for you. Otherwise you should be getting a reply shortly from one of the volunteers.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#9 timb120

timb120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

I think it would be best to leave it open for any additional steps I should take to ensure my computer is safe.  I'll update my post with the information.

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate it.  This stuff can get really frustrating.

Just saw I couldn't edit my original post and adding another post will bump it.

Edited by timb120, 14 December 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

You can PM me the exact content for the malware post. And I'll edit it in for you.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 timb120

timb120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:42 PM

pm'd  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users