Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A8n32sli-deluxe: Possible Bios Issue?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Modulus

Modulus

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:42 AM

So a few weeks ago I discovered why memtest was giving me 600+ errors on my OCZ memory during test #6. Well, I suspect it's a BIOS issue because once I disabled Legacy USB Support in BIOS all of those memory errors dissapear and memtest86+ runs without errors (on 6 passes). Very wierd, I know... Symptoms of a buggy BIOS I think.

Anyway, the whole reason I was running memtest (and later that small BIOS tweak) was because on occassion I get stuck at the windowsXP splash screen and can get no further. This caused me to test my HDD's (no problems - formatted and reinstalled windows just in case) and my memory (again, no problems as long as legacy usb support is disabled in BIOS) and to run CPU Burn-In.exe for about 5 hours (without error). My PSU has ample power for the task of running my system... My mobo seems fine, although I have to admit that I don't have any diagnostic tools for it to tell me if it's working correctly besides the fact that it POSTs... So my first inclination is that it's the BIOS that's giving me troubles.

What I've found is that when it doesn't boot into windows successfully, if I go into BIOS and change all the settings to default it boots up fine (although I want to leave legacy usb support disabled because of the memory errors it creates). While that's a fix for my problem it's not what I like doing... For one thing by default it sets my memory timings to 2.5-3-3-5 @ 2.6v but on the OCZ website they recommend setting it to 2-2-2-5 @ 2.8v. Well, if I have to set everything to default in BIOS than I'm not getting the performance from my parts I should be... And you see my dilemma.

Basically, I'm lost... I don't know what's causing this now... If anyone has any information (maybe someone with the same mobo as me) please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Modulus
I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hi Modulus

Well, I suspect it's a BIOS issue because once I disabled Legacy USB Support in BIOS all of those memory errors dissapear and memtest86+ runs without errors (on 6 passes). Very wierd, I know... Symptoms of a buggy BIOS I think

It's not a symptom of a buggy bios nor is having USB legacy support enabled in the bios causing memory errors. It's simply a conflict with memtest and your particular bios.
It's been going on for years on various systems. Your supposed to disable usb legacy support to eliminate false errors like you are receiving. :thumbsup:
memtest86 was abandoned almost a year and a half ago as well. As newer components roll out, the less compatable it will become.

Edited by HitSquad, 19 June 2006 - 12:12 PM.

#3 Modulus

Modulus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

Good to know HitSquad... Thanks for the reply.

If anyone has any additional information please let me know. I read something on the ASUS boards about an enabled USB device (like my mouse) during boot up causing similar errors. I'm going to try a PS2 mouse that I have laying around and see if that makes any difference.

I'll tell ya... These quirky little hardware issues really burn me up! $220 for a mobo, it should run flawlessly! (assuming that's the problem)

Edited by Modulus, 19 June 2006 - 02:41 PM.

I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

Try memtest86+. It is at least up to date. :thumbsup:
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

That is what Modulus was using Mr. Alpha. :thumbsup:
It's over 1 1\2 years old. (last update 10-1-2005)

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:18 AM

That is what Modulus was using Mr. Alpha. :thumbsup:
It's over 1 1\2 years old. (last update 10-1-2005)

:flowers: , my bad.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users