Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash update?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

Anyone know when the latest Adobe Flash Player update will be added to the major distro repositories? Any news?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

Why did Adobe stop Flash Player for Linux? - Ask Ubuntu

Current Version 11.2.202.425

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Use peperflash instead.

PepperFlashPlayer - Debian Wiki

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

thanks...

I should come out of my cave more often.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

As a Firefox (Iceweasel) user Pepper doesn't work, it is Chrome specific... I've found gnash and lightspark as alternatives though, no personal viewpoint yet.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

Use Google’s Pepper Flash Inside Your Firefox Browser

Install Pepper Flash Plugin on Ubuntu 14.04

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:skunk/pepper-flash
 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt-get install pepflashplugin-installer

Now, create this symlink

sudo mkdir -p /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer/libpepflashplayer.so /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash

Install Fresh Player Plugin on Ubuntu 14.04

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin

Edited by NickAu, 14 December 2014 - 06:33 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

FreshPlayer is a test release, good to be aware of.

#7 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

I am running Stella 6.6, which is based on CENTOS

Kernel Linux 2.6.32-431.23.3.el6.x86_64

GNOME 2.28.2

Is there an alternative to Adobe Flash for Firefox?  Also, how would I make sure all security updates have been installed for the old version of Adobe Flash?  Firefox always warns that Flash is not secure.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

Is there an alternative to Adobe Flash for Firefox?  Also, how would I make sure all security updates have been installed for the old version of Adobe Flash?  Firefox always warns that Flash is not secure.

Look for gnash and lightspark in your software centre.

Adobe Flash Player 11.2 on Fedora 21/20, CentOS/RHEL 7 ...

Arch Linux .

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hi rainbow_warrior.

In addition to the above, there is also an app called Pipelight, found here, which app is a browser plugin which allows you to use Windows plugins inside Linux browsers using Wine. By its name I am guessing it supports Silverlight videos, not sure what else.

I note from your profile OSes - ME/XP/CentOS/Kubuntu , so if you are still running a Windows, it may be useful, and I note that it supports a number of RPM-based Distros, likely including yours.

:wizardball: Wizard

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:31 PM

Windows plugins inside Linux browsers using Wine

Use this option at your own risk. I would not use or trust Windows plugins running in Wine on my machine.

Please Note

This is just my personal opinion.

Edited by NickAu, 16 December 2014 - 04:18 AM.

Arch Linux .

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:09 AM

I don't believe I'll ever trust WINE on my main Linux installs, period. 

Maybe on one which is primarily a test bed, but the rest, no. Running Windows in a VM via VirtualBox is a better option if needed, making sure that file/folder sharing is disabled between the host & guest. Plus if needed, all is gone with 3 clicks, 30 seconds tops, it's as though it were never there, nothing left behind of the VM, perfect disposable environment. Getting rid of WINE totally (as in 100% gone) requires a lot more effort, and in an emergency, am not sure it'll be fast enough. 

As far as Adobe updates for Linux goes, if one runs Google Chrome, as already mentioned, one gets the latest Flash with every release, which is often. 

It's been 2-3 years back now, but the wounds have never healed for long time Linux users, Adobe was keeping us up to date all the time while testing out their 64 bit builds. Once they had a stable build for Windows, that was an abrupt end to a promising relationship between Adobe & the Linux community. Shattered overnight, and I doubt that anyone who has ran Linux for more than three to five years will ever forget, nor will ever trust the corporation again. Adobe burned us once, but they won't again. 

It's a matter of time before Flash isn't the game any longer, as Opera & Firefox has long been working on HTML5, and that, once implemented globally, will render Flash useless or "behind the times", and will badly hurt the corporation, kind of getting a dose of what they dished out to Linux users, I'm wanting to say in 2012, 

Will have to try the Pepper option with Firefox, the way that Chrome has gone as of late has led to me running FF om two Linux Mate 17.1 installs. The old duplicating of bookmarks has crept into Chrome, and w/out their developer tool, this makes it hard to remove no longer needed extensions from all, but am getting close. 

Opening new pages from a new session takes longer too, or if trying to opening a single, like when checking on what a Windows update is supposed to fix when installing, or prior to. During this time when Chrome is spinning it's tires & getting nowhere, I can copy/paste that same link in Firefox, read it & close the page, and Chrome is still there looking stupid as ever. I'm speaking of the time frame of 2 minutes here, and the link hasn't opened. They blame it on my ISP, who in turn blames of on one or more internal components of their browser, Flash being one. While my ISP didn't give no proof to support that theory, the issues continues, and the Firefox with the old Flash is running fine, never have I been warned about it being "insecure". 

The age of the Flash player means nothing to me, as long as my Web pages are opening fast, and I can always still use Chrome for transactions, if Flash being "tool old" is a security issue. Or Opera. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 17 December 2014 - 11:43 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:38 PM

I've been testing lightspark for the last few days. It works flawlessly on a range of sites.

Seems legit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users