Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced power supply unit, now keyboard and mouse don't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WaterBlue

WaterBlue

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

I have a non-branded, DIY desktop computer. The lights/electricity at home flickered causing the tv, refrigerator, computer and everything else to power down. On a hunch, I replaced the old AGI 430W HP-E4009F5WR power supply with a refurbished (newegg.com) Corsair CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 plus bronze certified power supply. Windows loads, I get my desktop, my anti-virus messaged me that it updated, etc. but the keyboard and the mouse don't work and the mouse pointer stays frozen on the screen. I also tried a wired keyboard and mouse. Same thing. The keyboard and the mouse don't work and the mouse pointer stays frozen on the screen

I got to Safe Mode. The keyboard worked as I was able to F8 to Safe Mode and use the arrow keys on the Boot Selector Pop Up Menu and on the Windows Advanced Options Menu but after I got to Safe Mode, the keyboard and mouse no longer worked. The mouse pointer, again, stayed frozen on the screen. The motherboard is an ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series.

Thanks for any assistance here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

Weird.  It sounds like something very early in the boot process is not working. If 'F8' works to get you to the boot selector you should be able to get into the BIOS - normally 'Delete'. Then check in the BIOS that your USB is enabled, or if you cannot find anything obviously wrong here try selecting 'BIOS defaults' save and exit.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then the only thing I can think of is to try booting from a Windows repair disc - or the original install disc if you have it to hand. If you use the install disc you will come to a screen that says 'Install or Repair'. Choose 'REPAIR' !  If you need to create a repair disc there is a tutorial here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

which will walk you through the steps. If repair doesn't work by itself then choose 'Advanced options' and try a 'System restore' to a date before this power outage.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 WaterBlue

WaterBlue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'm the OP. For what it may be worth, here is some additional information:

I tried a flash drive in every USB port, front and back, and the system recognized it every time with the autorun screen. In addition, my anti-virus, NOD32, recognized it every time as well.

My BIOS looks like this:

BIOS Setup Utility; USB Configuration

USB Function: [enable]

Legacy USB Support: [auto]

USB 2.0 Controller: [enable] ****

USB 2.0 Controller Mode: [hispeed]

BIOS EHCI Handoff: [disabled]

**** I changed this to enable, no change.

Thank you.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

If you have PS2 sockets for keyboard and mouse on your computer you could try using a PS2 mouse and keyboard. If you don't have old ones lying around then  you can get USB-PS2 converter plugs. PS2 runs at an even lower level than USB. If this works it will allow you to get into your computer to try a System restore.

Failing that, you are going to have to try a Windows repair either by using the install disk or a 'Repair' disc. As both of these are self-booting you don't need the hard drive for them to run, they both automatically install generic drivers for most things and - hopefully - the keyboard and mouse will work for you to choose whichever repair route you decide to go down.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users