Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Genuine, Windows

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Family Geek

Family Geek

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559440/this-computer-is-not-running-genuine-windows-popup/ - Hamluis.

Hello all and please let me know if I'm not posting properly as this is my first post here.  This issue no doubt was caused by December's MS updates so I'm not sure if I should be following this post or another one.

I'm also experiencing the not genuine message on my uncle's HP Win 7 Home Premium x64 laptop.  As my user name states, I'm the one all the family calls when they have computer issues as I've been involved with computer repairs and technical support as a career for many years.   The only access I have to his system is remote as he lives on the other side of the US and when I checked his system neither KB3004394 or KB3024777 show up in the list of installed updates.  I downloaded KB3024777 from Microsoft's site and ran it manually (twice) but it still doesn't show up there.  I think it probably doesn't actually install because KB3004394 isn't there to remove, but that's just a guess.  The problem is that although neither of these updates are present, the not genuine Windows message appears after every restart, but right clicking "Computer" and choosing properties does display it's genuine after about 30 seconds.

Is anybody else experiencing this?  I've showed my uncle how to alleviate the problem for the time being by right clicking the computer icon and choosing properties, and assured him it's nothing to be overly concerned about, but he's... let's say... "elderly", and he worries about things like this and will be torturing me until it stops.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2014 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:11 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Probably the simplest thing for you to do is to try activating this copy of Windows again. You will need the COA, the 25 digit alpha-numeric string that should be on a sticker on the computer somewhere. Click 'Start - control panel - System' and you should see a link 'Activate Windows'. If this doesn't work for you then you will need to give MS  a call. If this screen doesn't give you a free-phone number, google MS activation and you will find the number. It is usually a free call.

If this doesn't work, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

...I'm also experiencing the not genuine message on my uncle's HP Win 7 Home Premium x64 laptop...Is anybody else experiencing this?

Hi guys. I just had two of my users yesterday report getting the "This computer is not running genuine Windows" message on their Win7 machines. Even though I wasn't getting the popup I checked my laptop and saw it too had the update installed. I went an uninstalled it then told the two users to do the same. I heard back from one of them this morning saying even after uninstalling the update, he has gotten the message twice. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Windows Update KB3004394 triggers error messages (Post #28)

I would make sure that the update was uninstalled properly AND did not get re-installed. I had 5 machines show up as non genuine and running Microsoft's legitcheck.hta would show the PC's were not. I then removed this patch, rebooted and re-ran the legitcheck and they all then passed.

Windows Update KB3004394 triggers error messages (Post #29)

The "not running genuine Windows" was the symptom for my computer from this buggy update as well. I was still getting the messages after uninstalling and restarting my computer. I finally did a system restore back to the last restore point before the update installed. That seems to have done the trick for me. I haven't seen any Windows validation prompts since. *fingers crossed*

Windows Update KB3004394 triggers error messages (Post #33)

I have two computers that are used daily: My wife's Samsung laptop which has Win 7 (32 bit) and has run flawlessly for years and my own homebuilt 64 bit machine, also running Win 7. Since Dec 11th, the Samsung repeatedly says it has non-genuine Windows (just ignored it so far) and I have had to do system restore every morning on my machine to get it to run. How can I remove KB3024777?

Windows Update KB3004394 triggers error messages (Post #42)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 haycg

haycg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:12 AM

Start Button -- type -- activate -- activate windows should show up at the top of the list. Click that and get your answer. 

I had to do this a few times when changing hard drives with a different product key. Same operating system.

Both hard drives came from a eMachine E725 were one motherboard went bad. If legal this should stop the notices.

#5 Another -349

Another -349

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:21 AM

Start Button -- type -- activate -- activate windows should show up at the top of the list. Click that and get your answer. 

I had to do this a few times when changing hard drives with a different product key. Same operating system.

Both hard drives came from a eMachine E725 were one motherboard went bad. If legal this should stop the notices.

Just says "Activation was successful" because it was already activated years ago.  The problem is the popup saying it's not genuine comes every few hours anyway.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:42 AM

Microsoft maintains multiple Product Activation Centers worldwide to provide assistant and telephone support for activation issues. The correct telephone number is based on product and location.
* Get Help Activating Microsoft Windows
* How To Activate Windows 7 via Phone Activation slui.exe 4' Client

You can also call Microsoft directly at (866) 234-6020 or 1-800-MICROSOFT (642-7676):

#7 Family Geek

Family Geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

Well I'm glad I'm not alone in this sinking boat!  I just happened across an article from InfoWorld a few minutes ago (link below).  MS needs to get their heads screwed on straight and provide the public with a fix to yet another screw-up!

Hey MS... you gotta give the public some faith in your support if you want us to keep buying your stuff!  I can handle all the suggestions being provided all over the place to (hopefully) rectify this problem, but what about my 87 year old aunt and all others like her around the globe that are worried about their "illegal" computers now?

Here's the latest link.........

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2859267/operating-systems/windows-7-hit-by-rash-of-bogus-not-genuine-reports-validation-code-0x8004fe21.html

#8 Family Geek

Family Geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

To Chris Cosgrove (and others suggesting manual activation)

I don't think you understand the actual issue here.  The not genuine message appears... I go to System Properties and within 30 seconds the information changes and magically it's now genuine.  Then about 45 minutes later it all starts over again.  Over and over!!

#9 cassandraann1

cassandraann1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

I am very interested in a solution since I have the exact same problem.  I keep getting the annoying "windows is not genuine" popup even though I can see that my windows is activated and has an activation key.  I know it started after windows update KB3004394, and I installed the "fix" KB3024777.  I've restarted my computer multiple times but still keep getting this popup.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

Try using System Restore to return to previous state before the problems began.

#11 Orange14

Orange14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:10 AM

This is really quite annoying.  Only one of the three PCs seems to be affected and of course it's my wife's work station.  The offending patch was apparently replaced on 12/15 as it no longer shows up in the list of active patches that can be removed.  However, the Windows validation pop up sporadically appears.  I tried a System Restore but this is failing with the following note 0x8000fff, restore file on the 'C' drive could not be opened.  I've tried going back a couple of other earlier restore points but get the same error there as well.  I have not tried the 3024777 update patch as the PC has already been updated.  The PC also goes out to check for system updates without any problem and shows that it is still activated.  

So my question is whether this is just a nuisance or really an activation problem that needs to be dealt with?  TIA.

#12 Another -349

Another -349

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:43 AM

Try using System Restore to return to previous state before the problems began.

Had this idea after my first post a couple days ago and it seems to have succeeded where simply deleting the update failed.  I restored back to before the bum update and I haven't gotten the inexplicable "not genuine" popup since.

Edited by Another -349, 17 December 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

Had this idea after my first post a couple days ago and it seems to have succeeded where simply deleting the update failed.  I restored back to before the bum update and I haven't gotten the inexplicable "not genuine" popup since.

Yes others have reported success with System Restore too.

#14 Family Geek

Family Geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

I've seen many posts in a number of forums going both directions there, but yes, some folks are reporting that system restore does resolve the not genuine issue.  Many are also receiving errors trying to restore though, as Orange14 posted above.  Not all have reported the same error code as his but I have seen that one posted elsewhere, and in many of the threads the posters are quite adamant that the error they're receiving trying to perform a system restore is caused by the 12/2014 updates.  Since KB3004394 was verified by MS to also cause issues with Windows updates I'm inclined to agree with them, but that's for another topic all to it's own.

I won't be re-installing the updates after doing the restore though myself, I plan to hold off on that for a while just to see what others are experiencing.  Yes... I know... the "bad update" isn't available anymore, but I'm not 100% confident yet that there's only one bad update in that batch.

#15 cassandraann1

cassandraann1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

I haven't recieved the "not genuine"  popup (yet) since doing a system restore, hopefully that was the solution.  Afterward, my computer said that system restore was unsuccessful due to an unspecified error and nothing was changed.  Strangely, the three programs I had installed since the restore point were gone and KB3004394 was back in my Windows Update list so a few things obviously had been changed!  Regardless, I am hoping the issue is resolved for me.  I've read to disable antivirus or perform System Restore in Safe Mode if you are having problems with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users