Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tablet for 5 year old child

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

Last Christmas, I got my grandson (then 4) a little handheld talking dictionary. He just loves it. He takes it with him everywhere.

This year, I'd like to get him something a little more versatile. Is there some type of tablet-like device that will allow his dad to download games and educational apps, but doesn't allow him to get to the Internet. Ideally it would have good battery like (6-8 hours) and a charger, be fairly rugged, and have a touch screen.

I did a search for "tablets for kids" and came up with quite a few choices. Most of them are more or less full-function tablets and get very mixed reviews (poor battery life, slow, unreliable, etc.).

I would appreciate any suggestions.

PS: I'd prefer something around $100-$150, but would be willing to go higher if it was a really good device for a child.

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 15 December 2014 - 10:24 AM.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:50 AM

Take a look at LeapPad by LeapFrog. You can install games, apps, songs, story books and lots more.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:25 AM

I just discovered that one myself. It looks like just the thing.

Do you have any personal experience with it?

#4 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

My nephew has a LeapPad though I'm not sure which version though I'm pretty sure it's LeapPad 2. The build quality is really good, offers great battery life and lasts for a surprisingly long time without any problems. The UI is very easy to use and any kid will be able to get around easily. He used it for around 2 years before getting bored and then moved onto Nintendo 3DS :) But I think 2-3 years of service is good enough for a kids tablet.

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

Great. The LeapPad3 looks to me quite an improvement over the LeapPad2. Thanks for the tip.

#6 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

I forgot to mention Fire HD Kids edition of Amazon kindle, it's worth taking a look at as well. http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Edition-Display-Wi-Fi-Kid-Proof/dp/B00LOR524M

#7 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

The LeapPad3 arrived yesterday. Overall, I am not impressed.

• The screen is tiny (5"). That may not be a problem for a child.
  • The registration process was very poorly done. First, it timed me out in about 5 minutes and I had to start over. Then it complained that my password was too long, but didn't say what the maximum length is.
  • The apps are expensive -- $10-$50. This is no doubt because they have to be written especially for that device. Ten apps would be $250, several times the cost of the tablet.
  • The apps are organized randomly. There is a search, but it's sophomoric. The few apps I demo'ed were unimaginative. I think an average child would tire of them after a few days, resulting in more expensive apps.

The Fire may have been a better choice. It was twice as expensive, but maybe cheaper in the long run. I assume it runs standard apps, but maybe not. Otherwise, just a regular tablet with good parental controls.

I'm going to call the LeapFrog help line to see if they can resolve some of these complaints. I'll post what I learn, if anything.

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users