Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update icon in taskbar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 recon41

recon41

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hi- This is my first post other than my introduction. I hope I'm in the right place. Computer terminology is not one of my skills, so please forgive any mis-wording. Thanks

I'm using XP Proffesional w/service pk 3.

The yellow update icon in the task bar is always there. Everytime I shut down I get the window saying I have one update to be downloaded. It goes through the update process, then shuts down. When I start up the next time that icon is still there with what looks like a 1 (one) in it.

How do I fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

First of all - Welcome to BC !

When the computer is up and running have you tried clicking on this icon to see if there is an update hanging around waiting to be downloaded and installed ?  There are very few MS updates for XP now, i think the only one routinely released is the 'Malicious software tool'.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 recon41

recon41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

Yes, when I click on it it asks how I want to install the updates...express install, or custom  install. It has been there for weeks and runs each time I shut down.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:15 PM

If you previously choose to have Windows Update notify you when new updates are available in Windows Action Center (or Windows Security Center for XP and Vista), Windows Update checks periodically for new updates. When any are found, a Windows Update icon is displayed in the system tray notification area. A pop-up message then advises you there are new updates available. When you click the icon, Windows displays the "Automatic Updates: Choose Updates to Download" dialog box. If you chose the option to "Download updates for me but let me choose when to install"...then click the Automatic Updates icon to start the process, Windows will ask "How do you want to install updates." Clicking the Express Install installs all available updates. Clicking Custom Install allows you to choose what updates to install.

The Windows Update web site also allows Express or Custom Install....Windows - Using Windows Update
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 recon41

recon41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

Hi, quietman7

I understand how it works, but regardless of how I do it, it supposedly downloads something before shutting down and the update icon is still there on the next startup. And it always says 1 (one) update waiting to be downloaded. It has been like this for more than two months. The icon never goes away. I've tried auto and manual download. I have even clicked on "shutdown without updating", or something to the like of that.

Recon41

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

Microsoft Fix it: Windows Update or Microsoft Update repeatedly offers the same update
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users