Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet works perfect but webpages fail to load most of the time

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hello fellow bleepers, let's cut to the chase shall we?

I was happily browsing the web on my desktop computer and all of the sudden webpages stopped loading, now i tought it was my internet, but a quick ping to google proved that that was not the case.

Next tought was "wellp chrome is screwed up" but opera soon proved it wasn't just chrome

Now i was in for trouble, so i started googling ways to fix it, tried all of them, none seemed to work, then when i was about to post here i clicked on my speccy snapshot by mistake, and guess what, it loaded, tried other webpages and they did too, just not how they sould, they'd take ages and load with missing images, sometimes the entire page would be all screwed up (as in plain text with no proper formatting) 

so i said, well, let's see if it starts working.

It did, to an extent, but after a reboot it started again, now i'm no tech expert but for some reason google chrome is able to access the pages after tying for a while, as in like failing to load, and then refreshing and it loads more, and so on, my guess is that it has to do with cache.

Now the problem i face is that the first times i try browsing the internet after turning the PC on it just won't work properly, after a while it starts to work a tad better, but some pages still fail to load images and stuff like that.

Now, this computer is connected via an ethernet cable directly to the wifi modem, already tried restarting the modem, moving the ethernet cable to a diferent port and changing the ethernet cable, didn't help.

Also tried reinstalling the ethernet controller so windows would configure it as it wanted, didn't help

Switched the auto DNS lookup to google's DNS (8.8.8.8 - 8.8.4.4) didn't seem to change anything

So i'm beat, and i'd like your help. You guys need anything just ask, i ran avast and malwarebytes anti malware and found nothing, altough to be frank malwarebytes wasn't able to finish due to a power outtage

anyways, here's my speccy snapshot.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for read.

EDIT: Forgot to add, whenever chrome fails to load a webpage the error code says DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

Edited by Datcoolguy, 14 December 2014 - 09:13 AM.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:23 AM

Disable Web shield on avast. If that does not work completely uninstall avast and then use their uninstaller. You point the uninstaller to the Avast folder in the programs directory. If the avast folder is gone then you do not need to run the uninstaller.  Try opening a few web pages.

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

Didn't think about avast webshield, will have to test to see if it works, not happy with disabling the webshield tough, it hasn't saved me from anything yet but i'd rather have it on lol

EDIT: Disabled and re enabled the ethernet adapter to test if disabling webshield helps, it doesn't. Disabling all of AVAST's shield didn't help either, so i think it has nothing to do, but i'm no expert.

I find it odd how the problem happens the most right after connecting to the internet, even tough my ping has never been more stable

Edited by Datcoolguy, 14 December 2014 - 09:38 AM.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

Disabling should be okay if you are going to just a few well known sites and are doing it in a non-admin account. Same with trying the same sites with avast uninstalled. Some people have had issues with avast and web sites not loading.

I personally had trouble with it on a XP computer and had to change to something else. Websites and especially Google took forever to load.

Edit: you may find that doing a clean install of avast will help but try some websites without avast first if disabling webshield does not work to see if that is the problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 December 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#5 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

Well avast let's you disable all the shields, and doing just that didn't help, that's why i think i'd rule it out, and i will uninstall it if you think it isn't enough, but i don't think it's the problem

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

Don't uninstall just yet. See if changing your DNS server to OpenDNS solves the problem. Note any DNS servers you have now if you do not have it set to auto DNS.

Okay, my mind is not functioning. Your first post was with Google DNS so I doubt OpenDNS would solve the problem, sorry.

I would see if updating your network driver would help.

Are you connected wirelessly or via Ethernet?

Edit Edit: avast gives you the option to do a repair install via Control Panel when  you select Uninstall. This would essentially be the same as doing an uninstall and reinstall.

Note: if you decide to do this, make sure your setting after the repair are set to not upate the program or you will get the latest version of avast on update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 December 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

I wrote in the first post that it is connected via Ethernet, in the same paragraph the DNS stuff is.

I'd like to note that it only happens on that computer, other computers in the network have no issues, and i even tried connecting my netbook via ethernet to see if it was an ethernet specific problem, it took a moment to start loading pages but it worked perfectly.

Desktop still having issues.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:11 AM

The specs on the motherboard show it as having an Atheros chipset for Ethernet. Qualcom which aquired Atheros has drivers on their website but I don't know if they are later than what you have.Right click the NIC card in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in yoru next post. I will be out for about an hour.

#9 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

The topmost value of the network adapter of the hardware ID is PCI/VEN_1969&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_10

I doubt it's a driver issue since i haven't ever updated that driver, unless it randomnly corrupted it shouldn't had changed.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

Before looking at the driver try resetting TCP/IP and Winsock. Type CMD in the search box. Right click Run as Administrator

netsh winsock reset   <enter>

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt     <enter>

reboot

Edit: Is that full line under Hardware ID's? There is usually a DEV_XXXX after the Ven_ ID.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 December 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#11 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:43 AM

I have already tried that, but i'll do it again if it pleases you :B

EDIT: It didn't help, and i realized using 8.8.8.8 as my DNS raises my Ping to everything by 15-20 ms, not sure why

EDIT2: 

d18392678f.png

Edited by Datcoolguy, 14 December 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:48 AM

If you have already done it then no, you do not need to do it again. In my previous edited post , is there a DEV_ listed and the VEN_ ID?

Edit: Is this the paid version of avast with the firewall?

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 December 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#13 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

No, it's the free version, and i edited my previous post with an image, not sure what you wanted me to find there

EDIT: Just want to note that the internet itself works fine, i'm actually playing an online game while webpages struggle to load, i suspect DNS issues, but i'm no expert

Edited by Datcoolguy, 14 December 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:12 PM

That is what I needed. Here is the direct link to the Qualcom driver for your chipset. I would download and install. Create a restore point before you do it. If this does not work, the only thing I would try next is a repair install of avast. It's possible the problem is hardware related. You could verify that using a live linux CD.

#15 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

It seems that driver is the same one i had installed since it gave me  the modify, repair or uninstall prompt, i put it on repair, it did some modifications then asked me to reboot, i did and everything's the same as before

EDIT: I noticed ping has trouble locating google.com at first, but if i ping one of google's IP directly it doesn't have any problems, it is able to ping to google.com after i insist a couple of times tough.

Edited by Datcoolguy, 14 December 2014 - 12:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users