Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New member question on System and Security;

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TxTrapper

TxTrapper

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:03 AM

I have a Toshiba C655D notebook and in Control Panel, System Security, the System type is 64-bit. When I open CMD run as administrator the window says C:\windows\system32>

When I download software for this machine what should I use 64-bit or 32-bit?

I ran sfc /scannow and it reported no problems. 

DS
San Antonio, Texas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:05 AM

If you have a Windows 64bit OS installed typing cmd from start & search will always be the 64bit version of CMD.exe. If you start it normally it will start at your user directory. If you start it as administrator it starts in the system32 directory. You can verify the version. If you type cd %programfiles% it will point to 'Program Files' at not 'Program Files (x86)'. Windows 7 has two program files, one is 64bit and the other (x86) is for the 32bit apps/programs. If a 32bit app is used in the 64bit CMD it will be redirected to the 32bit CMD and then ran. If you go to C:\Windows\syswow64 and launch the CMD.exe from there that is the 32bit version. While running that version if you type again cd %programfiles% it now points to the 'Program files (x86)'. So in otherwords, if you run a 32bit apps in the 64bit command prompt, it gets linked to the 32bit. It knows which are 32 or 64. If you do DIR command the 32bit apps will show *32 beside them indicating that they are 32bit. When the cmd ran as administrator and starts at system32 that is just a point of reference that most admins would typically want to be to run administrator tools that reside there. Your system is functioning fine.

Now to answer your software install question. Yes, you should always install 64bit version of the programs if you can. However, you can install 32 bit programs no problem. In fact you probably have more 32bit programs installed than you do 64bit. Programming 64bit apps is more complex. The 64bit programs are indeed more robust. As an example, you can install Firefox 32bit and IE 64bit, then do a side by side comparison and you will see that IE is a lot snappier browsing, downloading etc.

Edited by technonymous, 14 December 2014 - 10:42 PM.

#3 TxTrapper

TxTrapper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:08 AM

Take a look at this.  Any suggestions?

In system protection I have (2) drives what should I do to correct this into one drive?

Attached Files

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

IMO it is only one drive with a recovery partition, if you right click computer then click manage then disk manage in the left pane it should show the drive contents and its partitions.  One with about 25 megs as healthy the rest as your system what ever sized drive you have.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users