Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compuer won't turn on completely

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 quo

quo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:41 AM

All that happens when I try to start up my laptop is it makes a whirring noise. That, and, the caps lock key has a blue light that blinks on and off while the F12 key with wifi logo has a red light that stays on. Leave the laptop whirring and it may make a higher pitched whirr after a few minutes? Hard to tell. Restatrting does same thing. Pressing anything including enter does nothing. Past few weeks my laptop has had difficulty loading webpages without me circling the cursor on screen via the touchpad. The other day I was propmted to update drivers via an MSN associate but wasn't sure of its trustworthiness so I didn't. Am using Windows 7 with HP. Has my PC crashed? Someone said something about graphics card. What does this mean? I am not a gamer or high power user by any means. Pls advise. I have done forum and online searches but found nothing so far on public computer.

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2014 - 10:00 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:37 PM

Can you boot into safe mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Louis

#3 quo

quo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:26 AM

Hello all viewers, and thanks to Louis do far for assistance.

I should have mentioned that nothing comes up on screen. Totally black. Those two key lights I mentioned in my previous post are the only things that work apart from the usual whirring noise when switched on.

I've just been into a repair place. The attendant didn't speak English too well but I did understand it may have something to do with the "main board" or "mother board" which is "electronic circuitry where anything can happen and depending on the problem it can take up to $300-$400 to fix or it could be a few dollars to fix including the inspection fee of $25." The attendant did also mention the Windows in Safe Mode screen which I've seen and used on occassion in the past. This screen doesn't even appear. Totally black.

The laptop has only ever been moved from room to room carefully and cost under $400 brand new.

Am here to get a second opinion and options to consider rather than take one repair person's word for it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

Well...it's a laptop, which means, IMO, it's disposable and was intended to be such.

As for any cost analysis...you can do that.  Does it make sense to spend $$ to troubleshoot something that may be outdated...when it can be replaced with a newer model for less than the stated cost of troubleshooting/repairing?

Beyond that...it's hard to speculate on what might be wrong, based on the info you have provided, IMO.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#5 quo

quo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:08 AM

Let's just say the laptop is an entry level model purchased brand new at least 5 years ago for about $350-$400 or so. Point taken. :rip: Thank goodness for online storage. And, thank-you Louis.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:48 AM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users