Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't change bullet color independent from line color

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:25 AM

I am using a bulleted list in Word 2007. One of the lines has text in two colors, black and red. the end of the line is in red. When I add a bullet in front of the line, it only becomes a red bullet and I can't see a way to change the bullet color without changing the line colors. I want the bullet to be black regardless of what the rest of the line is and can't seem to do that.

Edited by godzilla1347, 14 December 2014 - 03:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:08 AM

It's been a while since I used Word 2007 (retired now) but I don't think what you want is possible (unless someone else know a workaround).

Edited by md2lgyk, 14 December 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

This is strange. When I highlight and I copy the example below, it copies without the bullet. If I add the bullet from this applet, the bullet does appear in black as below. However, on my Word file, it appears in red and no matter how I try, I can't change that bullet to black in the below example sentence unless I change the whole sentence font color to black.

I want that bullet to be in black regardless of what follows in the sentence and I can't do it.

Now I can't highlight the bullet when I copy the sentence and I had thought that maybe, for some reason, my inability to highlight the bullet means it wasn't being copied along with the sentence, but when I try to highlight that sentence and copy it to an email, even though the bullet doesn't highlight with the rest of the sentence, the bullet is copied also and remains in red. The same thing happens if I copy the sentence to another part of the Word File.

You would think that Word has an option to change the bullet color independent of what the rest of the sentence looks like.

This is the example (but again, I added the bullet here because it wouldn't paste here from the copied Word document and it does show here in black but that's because I added the bullet here) :

Here's the example:

• Need FBA labels. Ques: where do we get them?

Edited by godzilla1347, 14 December 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#4 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

Place your cursor in the bulleted list. 

Right click. A window will open. 

Go to Bullets > Define New Bullet (at the bottom of the window that opens)

A separate window will open.  Choose the font tab. 

Go to the drop down for Color.  Choose black and see if that changes the bullets to all black. 

Edited by Stolen, 14 December 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

Ta Da! You're a genius! It worked. Thanks so much as this was driving me crazy and now I won't need therapy (of course, that's my opinion).

#6 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

:) You're welcome!! Thank you for letting me know it worked! 

The actual fix is somewhat obscure right? No way to really see you have to go through all those steps to get to the right place to format them! 

How is it going now with your bullets? I just saw your other topic about the indent, was it resolved? 

#7 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

Yes, thanks so much! What I had found worked was moving the margin controls. I'm still not sure how to set the tabs but I think I go to that horizontal ruler and pull down; that creates a tab mark--one of those tiny two-lines-on-right-angles thingies on the margin bar.

Actually, it's fun learning the nuances and I'm so glad you knew how to change the bullet preferences because it isn't intuitive whatsoever. In fact, the whole problem of learning on computers is that too much is not intuitive.

For instance, I was using Word 2000 for years. When I had upgraded to Word 2000, suddenly there was this ribbon. Wha? Suddenly my menus were schizophrenic! What happened to the menu driven options? I thought it was so much easier the old way. Now I have to investigate what is where on what ribbon. A lot of that is obvious but a lot is not.

Further, when Microsoft provides troubleshooting information, yes it is detailed if you can actually find what you are looking for. In most instances, questions like the bullet question you have solved is nowhere to simply be found.

One of the problems with being smart is that you think you can figure out everything. Without a computer-oriented Rosetta Stone, you can't. A lot of processes are built upon the assumption that you understand certain things. It's like cracking code in that case. 

Case in point, a lady friend of mine is not a computer whiz but needs to learn the basics. She had asked me "Where's the start button?" Now that sounds like a ridiculous question, but for a beginner, you look on the screen and there's no button that says start.  You need to know to right click on the Microsoft button on the bottom left in Vista but if you've never done that before, how would you know?  That's basic but there are so many esoteric operations that no one would ever know how to do unless they are in the industry or have had someone show them as you showed me the solution to my button malaise.

It's said that guys have a big challenge with asking for directions. Shame on us? Is it better to be lost? So I've learned not to be a hero. If I don't know something and can't figure it out myself, I plead ignorance and go here. Usually, someone has "been there" and has "done that" and can simply solve what appears to be an insuperable task.

Thanks again for your help. I'm putting together a manual for my "free solar" team and without the proper formatting, it would look like my computer went out drinking.  Now, everything is working fine.

Edited by godzilla1347, 16 December 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#8 Phillippe

Phillippe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

The colour for the bullet symbol is determined by the font colour of the paragraph mark at the end of the bulleted paragraph. You can change the bullet colour to black,independently of the text, by selecting that paragraph mark then setting the font colour to black.

#9 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

Thanks, I never had used paragraph marks before in my text but found the tool on the ribbon that enables them so this would provide another solution to this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users