Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Safe Are Campus Computers? - I Made CC Transaction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kyphysics

kyphysics

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

I made a credit card transaction at my community college's science computer lab.  It's an open lab for any students to use.

I didn't think much about it at the time, but then started feeling a little weird about it later on today.  I figured in the back of my mind that the university probably updates and protects these computers as well as anyone.  I always see those nightly "computers will be shutting down and updating" messages that forces us off the PCs for a while for maintenance. I figured they'd probably be just as safe is not safer than my home PC. But now I'm having some regrets, since I'm not very knowledgeable about computers.

Was my assumption right? How safe are college computers and should I block my credit card to be safe?

Feeling a bit nervous and upset with myself at the moment.  I was Christmas gift browsing on the internet and wanted to make a purchase right away while it was fresh on my mind, but didn't consider the ramifications of my actions that deeply until driving home later. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:32 AM

It's hard to tell, as we don't know the system. Public computers are often a risk, campus computers too.

Did you nee to logon with your credentials to this computer, or is it just open for everybody?

Can you contact someone from the college IT department and ask about this particular computer?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

Keep in mind that the IT Department may have policies in place which prohibited such activities. Some policies can actually block while others are written with expectation the student will follow them.

Regardless, do not be afraid to contact them as Didier Stevens suggests. The folks in the IT Depart deal with this stuff all the time and most are understanding and very helpful.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

Good point quietman7!

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users