Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with JRT.EXE (thisisu)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WacoJohn

WacoJohn

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:14 PM

I found this utility here on Bleeping Computer with a GOOGLE search.  When I run the downloaded file, I get permission errors on my W8.1-64 machine.

Attached File  error.PNG   21.21KB   1 downloads

It runs fine on other machines of mine.  Can anyone guide me on what I might need to do in order to run this file? I could find no contact info on the author.  Thank you in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

Welcome to BC.

Please download  Junkware Removal Tool  to your desktop.
Temporarily Disable your Antivirus  now to avoid potential conflicts.<<<<<<<<<
* Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
* The tool will open and start scanning your system.
* Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
* On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
* Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

Next, and very important -

Please go to Control Panel and open Internet Options > Down to the box that has your normal Home Page and check this. Re-set it if it is not correct, and click APPLY > OK. While there go across the top to Connections, Down to LAN Settings, Click that and make sure the only box ticked is Automatically detect settings >Click OK to close the box and Apply at the bottom.

Please reply with the logs requested and tell me if the situation has improved...

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#3 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:25 AM

Thank you for the quick reply.  I followed your instructions to the letter. I did not get the reported error ... but a different one.  When I hit 'any key' to continue, .. I got the following error:

Attached File  error2.PNG   38.8KB   1 downloads

Assuming it would exit on error, I clicked OK .... and the program continued ... appearing to run just fine.  Here is the result:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.4.0 (11.29.2014:1)
Ran by Waco on Sun 12/14/2014 at  0:32:03.20

~~~ Services
~~~ Registry Values
~~~ Registry Keys
~~~ Files
~~~ Folders
~~~ Chrome

Successfully deleted: [Folder] C:\Users\Waco\appdata\local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\lbfehkoinhhcknnbdgnnmjhiladcgbol

~~~ Event Viewer Logs were cleared
Scan was completed on Sun 12/14/2014 at  0:36:48.50
End of JRT log

so I assume the only problem now is the ERUNT.EXE error.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:42 AM

Erunt is the program used to create a registry backup before Junkware removal tool proceeds....

I would take a punt that this 'error' has to do with junkware removal tools interaction with erunt.on Windows 8.1  !

totally out of my pay grade....if it were mine I would ignore it and move on.....the log shows a good result...

Probably not a bad idea to run Eset online Scanner....

HERE

[*] [b]For alternate browsers only[/b]: ([i]Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps[/i])
[*] Click on [url=http://download.eset.com/special/eos/esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe]esetsmartinstaller_enu.[/url] to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
[*] Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu icon on your desktop.
[*] Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
[*] Click the Start button.
[*] Accept any security warnings from your browser.
[*] Under [b]scan settings[/b], check "Scan Archives [b]Do Not Check Remove Threats[/b]"
[*] Click Advanced settings and select the following:
[color="#0080FF"][b] Scan potentially unwanted applications
 Scan for potentially unsafe applications
 Enable Anti-Stealth technology[/b][/color]
[*] ESET will then download
updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
[*] Please be patient as this will take some time (2 hours is not unusual for a first scan).
[*] When the scan completes, click List Threats
[*] Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
[*] Click the Back button.
[*] Click the Finish button. [/list][b]NOTE[/b]:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

...I followed your instructions to the letter. I did not get the reported error ... but a different one.

Sometimes there isn't a clear explanation as to why JRT does not run properly without the developer having access to more specific information. You can ask the developer (thisisu) a question, report an issue or suggestion in this topic which he monitors for issues with JRT.

And you can always ask a question (leave a comment/suggestion) on thisisu's JRT Blog.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thank you both for the comments and advice.  I will do an eset scan.

report an issue or suggestion in this topic

Thank you for this.  Wish I had found that topic in the first place.  I will take this erunt issue over there.  Thank you (all) for the great reception and friendly wisdom.

EDIT  Did not want to hijack that thread, .. so I msged U to view THIS thread.  Meanwhile, going to preempt that with a run of jrtDEBUG and have it ready for him ....  assuming he will comply with my request. 

Edit.  jrtdebug ... generated a jrtnew.exe which returns the same erunt error.  

jrtdebug.txt

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>NET FILE  1>NUL 2>NUL 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>if '0' == '0' (goto gotPrivileges  )  else (goto getPrivileges  ) 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>setlocal   & pushd . 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>endlocal

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>taskkill /f /im reg.exe  1>nul 2>&1 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>taskkill /f /im taskkill.exe  1>nul 2>&1 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>"C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\NIRCMD.DAT" killprocess reg.exe  1>nul 2>&1 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>title Junkware Removal Tool by Thisisu - Version 6.1.4 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>REM ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ START OF WGET ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF NOT EXIST C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.exe GOTO Disclaimer 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF NOT EXIST C:\WINDOWS\system32\fc.exe GOTO Disclaimer 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF EXIST "C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\newmd5.txt" DEL /A/F/Q "C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\newmd5.txt" 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF EXIST "C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\JRT.exe" DEL /A/F/Q "C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\JRT.exe" 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>PING -n 1 www.google.com  1>nul 2>&1 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto Disclaimer 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>"C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\WGET.DAT" "http://thisisudax.org/downloads/md5/newmd5.txt"  1>nul 2>&1 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>title Junkware Removal Tool by Thisisu - Version 6.1.4 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF NOT EXIST "C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\newmd5.txt" GOTO Disclaimer 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>C:\WINDOWS\system32\fc.exe "C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\newmd5.txt" "C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\currentmd5.txt"  1>nul 2>&1 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO Disclaimer 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>Echo(The version of Junkware Removal Tool you are running is out of date. 
The version of Junkware Removal Tool you are running is out of date.

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>"C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\CHOICE.DAT" /c:yn /n "Update Now? [y,n] " 
Update Now? [y,n] ^C

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF ERRORLEVEL 2 (
Echo(Continuing with outdated version  
 GOTO Disclaimer 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto UpdateJRT 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>Echo(Downloading the newest version of Junkware Removal Tool 
Downloading the newest version of Junkware Removal Tool

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>"C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\WGET.DAT" "http://thisisudax.org/downloads/JRT.exe"  1>nul 2>&1 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>IF NOT EXIST "C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\JRT.exe" (
Echo(Download Failed.  
 Echo(Check your internet connection and try again  
 Echo(This window will automatically close once you press any key  
 pause 
 goto eof 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>copy /y "C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt\JRT.exe" "C:\Users\Waco\desktop\JRT_NEW.exe"  1>nul 2>&1 

C:\Users\Waco\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt>if NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 (
Echo(The newest version of Junkware Removal Tool can be found on your desktop.  
 Echo(The file name of the latest version is JRT_NEW.exe  
 pause 
 GOTO eof 
)  else (
Echo(The tool was unable to download to the desktop  
 Echo(Please download the latest version of the tool and save it to your desktop  
 pause 
 GOTO eof 
The newest version of Junkware Removal Tool can be found on your desktop.
The file name of the latest version is JRT_NEW.exe
This window will automatically close once you press any key
Press any key to continue . . . 
Terminate batch job (Y/N)?

Edited by WacoJohn, 14 December 2014 - 11:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users