Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

completing installation taking long time

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jrun

jrun

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

I had some hard disk problems with a Fujitsu notebook so ran chkdsk which seemed to clean up the errors.  The system still ran very slowly, so I decided to do a clean install of Windows 7.  I deleted the partitions down to one (700gb) then clicked on "Next".  There was a message about "disk fail" but it started going fine, and the first part of "Installing Windows" went reasonably quickly.

But it has been nearly 60 hours stuck on "Completing Installation".  Should it take this long?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

I believe your hard drive is failing or has failed. You can check it by downloading Seatools for DOS. This is a bootable iso file. You can right click in Windows 7 and select Burn Image File. You may have to enable IDE mode from AHCI if the hard drive is not detected. Run the short generic test.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Seatools for Dos Tutorial

SeaTools for DOS Guide - Seagate

Edit: It should not take 60 hours to do an install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 December 2014 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users