Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bidirectional communication problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kansington

kansington

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:53 PM

(I hope this is the right place to post this.)

I'm trying to print a document from my laptop, and at first it told me to enable bidirectional communication, which I did by checking the "Enable bidirectional support" box under the "Ports" tab in my Lexmark 4800's properties.  

But now when I go to print, it just says "Communication Not Available, The printer cannot communicate with the computer., Try these solutions: Ensure the printer is powered on, Disconnect and reconnect the printer's power cable, Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, check your firewall settings to ensure printer communication is not blocked, Restart your computer"

I tried all of the above except checking my firewall settings because I'm not sure how to do that.  I did a system restore a week or so ago, and before that I didn't have this problem, so I'm not sure what's changed.  

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

Ho Kansington, Lets make sure that print spooling is turned on. To do this

• Right click on My Computer (Computer on Vista) and select Manage

2349-wheel-s-.png

• In the console that opens, pull down the Services menu and applications

2349-wheel-s-.png

• Click on Services
2349-spooler-s-.png

2349-wheel-s-.png

• Double-click on the Print Spooler key

2349-wheel-s-.png

• In the "General" tab, go to Startup Type

2349-wheel-s-.png

• Set the value to Automatic, Manual or Disabled
2349-spooler-2-s-.png

2349-wheel-s-.png

• To enable or disable the print spooler service immediately, click Stop or Start

2349-wheel-s-.png

• Finally click Apply (a restart of the PC is sometimes necessary to take into account changes in parameters).

#3 kansington

kansington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

Hey, thanks for the input.  So the value on the Startup Type was Automatic.  So do I keep it automatic or change it to manual?  Right now it's on auto.

• In the "General" tab, go to Startup Type

2349-wheel-s-.png

• Set the value to Automatic, Manual or Disabled

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:33 PM

No it should be auto. I thought it may have been turned off. I'll try to come up with another possibility or there are many gurus here that can jump in and help.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

Was the printer installed before THIS TOPIC was opened ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 kansington

kansington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:50 AM

@Condobloke, yes, it was installed before that.  Sorry, I maybe should have linked to that above.  That was what led to the system restore.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:43 AM

Reinstall your printers software

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 kansington

kansington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

When I hooked up the USB initially it said the drivers were updated successfully, so I assumed that was all it needed.  I don't have the disk any more, but I'll check online and let you know how it goes.  Thank you!

#9 kansington

kansington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:04 PM

Okay, I downloaded the software and drivers from Lexmark (I just had it overwrite the stuff already there) and tried to print out a page, but it gave me the same error of "Communication not available... etc."  

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

Printer cable could be bad, IMO.

Louis

#11 kansington

kansington
  • Topic Starter

• Members