Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Installation Problems!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcguy9999

pcguy9999

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

i was planning on performing a windows xp reinstallation on a old computer i have. So, i took a windowx xp iso i put it on a USB and loaded it on to the pc. The iso would pull you up to a screen where you had a three part installation the first one would be formatting your harddrive i belive and the 2nd was a gui instllation and the third i don't entirely know. after my hard drive has become fully reformatted and i go to run the 2nd part of this installation i get the missing or corrupt hal.dll error. Now if i try to boot my computer normaly i get "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. I have tried to make changes to my boot.ini file on the installing iso usb but all the tutorials ive seen involve just saying set rdisk(0) to 1 and not explaining what it means or why they are doing it. Changing the rdisk and other numbers. How can i check my hard disk to find out what i need for the boot.ini, also i have made a hirens boot cd and cannot seem to get any of the recovery commands to work. i cannot get expand d:i386\hal.dl_ to work and i need some major help. From my understanding i have completely deleted windows xp off my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

You can rebuild the boot.ini file using the

C:\BOOTCFG /Rebuild command

See this page for repairing XP using the recovery console. You can access the recovery console from your bootable USB.

The computer you are installing XP on does not have a CD drive?  It's possible the iso you downloaded is corrupted.

If the above does not work then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. If you used Rufus try Yumi.  Select XP install in the other OS/Tools section of the dropdown box in step 2.

#3 pcguy9999

pcguy9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

The boot cfg command wont work because windows isnt on the pc from what I under stand. Ive ran over 8 different iso downloads and I got the hal.dll error for all of them. When I use the recovery console every command I use gets me something like bad file name or some similar error message about it being invalid. I ran out of discs to burn so thats why I prefer a usb since all my discs are one time burnable.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

Not sure why you keep getting that problem after downloading the 8 different iso's. Did you wipe the hard drive before doing the install? It's possible the drive itself is starting to fail.

I would download the bootable iso file of PartedMagic. Use Rufus to create the bootable USB. Boot to the desktop of Parted Magic and double click the Disk Health icon and do a short test. If that passes, use Parted Magic's Erase function to wipe the drive. After the drive has been wiped use Gparted on the PartedMagic disk to create a partition and format it. Then try the XP install again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users