Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

250 GB of hard drive space has disappeared

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 phantomx11

phantomx11

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hello,

Over the past month or so I have slowly watched space on my C: drive magically go away. I first realized this when I went to delete some files I had imported from an external hard drive that were useless without their installation disk (I had to factory reset my computer recently.) When I went to delete those files I lost hard drive space. Now, every time I turn on my computer, I lose between 1-9 GB of disk space.

I have downloaded WinDirStat to see exactly where it could have gone- and to my supprise, around 250gb of my hard drive no longer exists, according to the program. My Computer is informing me that 460 or so gb out of 918 has been used, but WinDirStat is informing me that 460gb out of 651gb has been used. I ran the scan yesterday, however, and WinDirStat said I had 918gb in total on my C: drive, but showed an anomaly of about 10% of space that was totally unaccounted for.

I've got no idea what the cause of this could be. I've scanned my computer for viruses and malware, and I'm currently running two firewalls. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I've checked the "Show Unknown" option on the WinDirStat scan, and am now being informed that 266gb of my hard disk is being taken up by... well... I don't know. I've got no clue what this could be.

RESOLUTION EDIT: I've found the problem, my PCs System Restore settings had it able to take up to 50% of my Hard Drive space. I've lowered to a more reasonable amount and have gotten the space back.

Edited by phantomx11, 13 December 2014 - 07:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for letting us know your self-resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users