Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about software removal...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

I have two entries in Revo Uninstaller that I would like to remove. One is COTM Reminder by We-Care.com and the other is something called Desktop Capture Engine.

When I try to uninstall the COTM reminder in either Revo or control panel. I get a message that a required resource is missing (probably the installer). I'm not having any issues with my computer's operation just tidying up a bit.

As for the Desktop Capture Engine, I don't know if I wish to remove it or not as I haven't a clue what it is. Can anyone chime in with any information about this program? Curiously enough it only shows in Revo and not in control panel and Revo lists its size as 0kb! I'm thinking both of these may be stray registry keys although the COTM shows in Revo as 5.45MB.

Appreciate any assistance.

UPDATE: Got rid of the COTM Reminder! The Desktop Capture Engine is still a bit of a poser.

Edited by mjl1297, 13 December 2014 - 06:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

This may just be an empty folder in your 'Program files' or 'Program files(x86)' folder.

Use Windows Explorer to have a look at these folders to see if you have a folder in either of them with this name, then open the folder and see if there is anything in it. If there isn't you are quite safe to delete the folder, then see if Revo still shows it tup.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:25 PM

Apparently it installed with another program. I'm just leaving it.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:56 PM

For future reference...The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7/8 or Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP, so always check there first. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the software not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. Important! Reboot when done and delete the Program folder if it still exists.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Note: Some programs can be difficult to remove due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

Keep in mind that not all programs show up in Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features. Some will have their own uninstaller, which can be found in the program's folder. This is by design as some vendors write installation routines so their program will not be included in the Add/Remove list.

Note: Some programs that are included with Windows (such as games, indexing, search, media features) do not show up in Porgrams and Features. Access to these programs is controlled by using (turning on or off) Windows features in Control Panel.

If the program is not listed in Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) look for an uninstall icon (shortcut) from within its program group. Click on Start > All Programs (or Program Files), look for the program folder by name and use the program's uninstaller. If it's not there, the next step would be to open Window's Explorer, manually navigate to the program's folder itself, look for an uninstaller file (i.e. uninstall.exe) and double-click on it to run.

The easiest way to do this is to press the WINKEY + R keys on the keyboard or click StartBtn.gif > Run..., and in the Open dialog box, type: %ProgramFiles%
Click OK or press Enter to open C:\Program Files.
Also check for a readme.txt file which may contain removal instructions.

Another removal method if there is no entry in Add/Remove, is to launch (double-click on) the original setup.exe file used for installation. Some vendors use the setup file to offer options to repair, modify or uninstall as a separate choice from installation. Restart the Computer when done and delete the Program folder if it still exists. If the uninstaller fails or does not exist, then search the vendor's web site for removal instructions or contact their Technical Support team.

If there is no entry in Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) and no uninstall file in the program's folder, then it most likely is a stand-alone application which can be removed by manually deleting the folder itself (which deletes everything inside it). If the folder or files you want to remove are not related to any program, then just right-click on them and choose delete. Be sure to empty the Recycle Bin when done.

Removal in this order helps to keep the Windows registry cleaner.

If you just delete the folder for any program but a stand-alone application, the program will still be listed in Add/Remove as an orphan entry along with all it's associated registry entries. To remove it and the leftovers, you would either have to edit the registry or use a third party uninstaller.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users