Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash won't update +System Restore an Unkown Publisher

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anyroad

anyroad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

So, I seem to be experiencing the same problem as the poster of +THIS THREAD.

(Which is why I'm posting in 'Am I infected.') While googling my problem, I came across this forum and decided to sign up.

I wasn't sure if I should just piggy-back on that thread or not, (I thought people might be less likely to look

at a topic with a bunch of replies) but hopefully, this can be merged with it if it needs to be.

And sorry in advance if I should have replied there.

I'm using Windows 7 (Home Premium) on my laptop.

Recently, Flash hasn't been working, so videos won't play.

Whenever I try to install the update, it gets 66% of the way through and then says "lost connection."

I've tried multiple times with no success.

I've also had the problem the other poster mentioned of ads popping up more frequently.

The only other particularly strange thing I noticed recently, was that after a Windows Update a few days ago,

when I clicked on System Restore/Create a restore point, it opened one of those yellow Unknown Publisher warnings about System restore. And I know that's not supposed to happen. It seems to have stopped since then, though, but I thought it was odd.

I haven't actually restored my computer since this has happened though.

Anyway, it seems likely that my computer is probably infected.

So I'm guessing I'll need to walk through the steps as that other poster did.

I just didn't want to try following it without someone telling me I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance to those who read this and take the time to help.

- Jess

Edited by anyroad, 13 December 2014 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

That topic is several months old and its always better to start your own topic.

I may be able to answer your question about Unknown Publisher...see this article: What is Adobe doing?

adobespeedlauncheralert.png

Also see these topics:
Rouge Start-up Program
Windows Update KB3004394 triggers error messages

On my computer, Windows claimed that all programs came from an unknown publisher. Uninstalling this update fixed it.

Your issue may not be malware related but we can check. What security scans have you run thus far?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 anyroad

anyroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

First off, thanks so much for the reply - and sorry for my own lack of getting back to my own topic.

(Good to know I did the right thing posting my own topic as well.)

Read through everything you linked and I'm glad to see that my "unknown publisher" issue seems to be down to that Windows update. Like the people in that other thread, after successive updates, everything seems okay there.

As for the Rouge start-up with Adobe Reader, I don't think that was my particular problem.

I don't have WinPatrol on my computer for one thing.

But, I also think the Flash problem may have somehow solved itself. For a while, while I was unable to download it, by browser would keep alerting me to update flash when I was one a site where I could watch a video, etc. because I had an old version installed and it was vulnerable. (Don't remember the precise wording, but vulnerable was in there.) Obviously I couldn't download, it which is why I came here.

Now, those warnings are gone, and videos play like normal. So...did it solve itself and update on its own?

Also, just to address the earlier post, I hadn't run any security scans except for my anti-virus.

And I'm not the most computer/tech savvy, so now I'm wondering if there are certain programs I should download, just to be on the safe side for future. Like, I know about Malwarebytes, but don't have it installed. And I'm unsure about what else I should probably install.

Thanks again.

-Jess

Edited by anyroad, 22 December 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

You're welcome.

If you have not done so already, you may want to read: Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users