Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software for deleting and recovering data

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cybbermouse

Cybbermouse

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

I use CCleaner for deleting data and Recuva for recovering.
Recuva gives effects if CCleaner doesn't delete it before.
I'm looking for a program that :
a ) can recover what CCleaner deletes
b ) can make data impossible to recover 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

I use both but I only use Recuva after an accidental data loss or if I am given a drive which has been accidentally wiped.

As I understand the way CCleaner works it deletes any file with a .tmp extension and files in certain locations like browser cookies. If you want to permanently wipe files so that there is virtually no chance of the ordinary user recovering them, there is an option in CCleaner to 'Wipe free space'. This overwrites the areas where deleted files were stored as well as any other empty spaces on your hard drive. It doesn't do it to military standards but will do it well enough for most purposes.

Once you have used the 'Wipe' option you will have virtually no chance of recovering files. There is another option in CCleaner, under 'Windows / System' and that is 'Empty recycle bin'. If you have this ticked, then the chances of recovering accidentally deleted files is poorer but should not be impossible.

Remember that if you have accidentally deleted a file, and if you can't recover it from the recycle bin, your chances of recovering it with Recuva are better the quicker you try it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Cybbermouse

Cybbermouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:51 PM

If I undersand you well, your opinnion is : "No software can recover the information that was deleted with CCleaner". I use also the "wipe free space" option. But the police can manage recovering it and have to use some softwares to do it.  

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

Yes and no !

A lot of people who use the recycle bin think that sending something to the bin deletes it - it doesn't, all it does is change the entry in the file allocation table.  If you empty the recycle bin that does delete it but only in the sense that the space on the drive that the deleted item was on is now marked 'empty' and can be re-written to. So long as nothing is written to this space software like Recuva can recover the files.

If you use 'wipe free space' what CCleaner does is write a string of 1s and 0s onto this space and 'Recuva can no longer recover the data. Forensic software does exist that can analyse these spaces and make a very good estimation of what was there. If you really want to find out about it I suggest you try Google. I  know it exists but off the top of my head I can't think of any brand names. As I understand it, wiping empty space to military standards requires something like seven passes and once that is done it is essentially impossible to recover any deleted data.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users