Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore and now a bunch of trouble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mconnell09

mconnell09

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

Lately I started to have an issue with my laptop.  (HP Pavillion g7 series) The sound would pretty much just quit.  So I googled around and found that it was perhaps from a recent update from Windows 7.  So I did a system restore to an earlier date. Seemed to fix the sound problem, but now Firefox won't work. 

I open it and it won't go to any websites.  IE works, so it's not the internet connection.  Firefox tells me that it may be a firewall problem, or proxy. 

I googled some more.  Tried turning windows firewall off, no changes. Changed to no proxy, no changes. I even added Firefox to the list of programs to be allowed through the firewall, no changes.  

Then I uninstalled firefox. NOW I can't even reinstall it.  *sigh*  Googled again, perhaps a malware? 

I dunno any more. 

HELP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

If IE works, can you go to 'Mozilla.com' and download the Firefox installer ?  Put it in 'Downloads' or 'Desktop' then try double clicking on it. Will it run ?

If it doesn't, then it is possible you have a malware problem. Go to this link and download Malwarebytes to your 'Desktop' -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Then double click on it to run it and see if it will run and update. If it does, run a scan with it any way. If it doesn't run, or will not download, post back and tell us what happened, or didn't and we can take it from there.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mconnell09

mconnell09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thank you Chris.  

I ended up coming across this link on the Mozilla.com website.  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

which did end up working. It is now installed on my computer.  But now it is still doing what it was doing before I uninstalled it after the restore.

It's not able to actually connect to the internet and telling me the same thing I listed from above.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,654 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

Go to Tools > Options > Advanced . Under the Network tab, is "Use System Proxy Settings" checked?

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

If none of the above work you can try resetting Firefox

Reset Firefox to its default state
  1. Click the menu button 2014-01-10-13-08-08-f52b8c.png and then click help 2014-01-10-13-10-08-eaa722.png .
  2. From the Help menu choose Troubleshooting Information.
    If you're unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting Information page.

3. Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page. 2014-03-20-11-31-46-78f853.png
  4. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
  5. Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.
What does the reset feature do?

All of your Firefox settings and personal information are stored in a profile folder. The reset feature works by creating a new profile folder for you while saving your important data.

Firefox will save these things: