Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba 3TB HDD Constantly Giving "Out of Space" Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jtsmith2

jtsmith2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi all, Recently I had a hard drive failure on my secondary drive. Luckily I was able to get everything off of the old drive and I purchased a new 3TB Toshiba drive to replace it. I installed it, restored my files, and all was well with the world. Well, a few days later, I notice I'm getting strange "Disk Full" errors in certain programs (Dropbox, Lightroom, etc) but when I go to investigate, Windows is reporting a little over 2TB available. So after a few days of this, I notice what is happening. It seems out of nowhere, the disk will report 0 bytes available in Explorer. Then over the next 15-30 seconds, the drive will slowly increase the amount of space it says available. First 0, the 30GB, then 500GB, the 1TB, then the full 2TB. It's weird. This is happening quite frequently. Do you think I'm dealing with a faulty HDD and should return or is something else going on? SMART is reporting a good status. I've attached three pictures: first is the Speccy output for the drive so you can see all it's information. The second is a set of screenshots I took over about 15 seconds, each showing a different amount of free space on the drive. Finally, the third is a listing of all the SMART attributes showing "Good" and their values. At this point I'm just assuming its a bad drive and needs to be replaced (although I'm not getting that indication from anything other than this issue), but I really don't want to have to go through the backup/restore process all over again. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by jtsmith2, 13 December 2014 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

Lets run a check of the disk, shall we.

Please proceed to "My Computer", right-click on the drive in question, and click "Properties" before going to the "Tools" tab and selecting "Check now". Then click scan.

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users