Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Please recommend a disk image program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

This isn't specific to Windows 8.  It's more of a hardware issue in that my new computer won't run an Acronis rescue CD.  It generated a "Cannot load Linux kernel" error so I burned a new boot CD.  It won't run that one either but my other computer boots from both of them.

The new computer also boots from my Linux Mint DVD and my GParted CD so it seems to just have a beef with Acronis rescue CD.

It would be great if I could fix this but after two tries it seems hopeless.

I have seen a lot of other (free!) disk imagers since I got Acronis but I never needed to try any of them.

Can you recommend one that does basically what Acronis does?  Free would be a big factor in my decision.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vladimir_Koskov

Vladimir_Koskov

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

Here are 3 examples of disk imaging software:

1.  Macrium Reflect - http://www.macrium.com/ 

2. R-Drive Image - http://www.drive-image.com/

3. Norton Ghost - http://download.cnet.com/Norton-Ghost/3000-2242_4-10798.html

Currently using Macrium Reflect and prefer to use a flash drive to boot into the imaging software but I've heard good reviews about all three of them.

Vlady

Edited by Vladimir_Koskov, 13 December 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

Windows 8 (although not earlier windows versions) contins a tool under "control panel-->windows 7 file recovery-->create a system image" with which you can make system images. It will let you write a system image to either an external hard-drive, a collection of cd or dvd discs or onto any usb stick WHICH CALLS ITSELF A LOCAL DISK NOT A REMOVABLE DISK when you plug the usb in(sandisk USED to be good for this but now all their usb devices register themselves as removable discs not local ones so no longer work). Then after a system problem or a virus you can go into the windows recovery environment go into under "troubleshoot-->advanced options-->system image recovery".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/advanced-startup-options-menu-in-windows-8/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/system-image-recovery-in-windows-7-8/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/

In general system images are much more reliable and much more effective than the "refresh", "reset" or "system restore" options.

Edited by rp88, 13 December 2014 - 05:35 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

I had a brilliant idea this morning - boot Acronis from an external CD.  Wouldn't you know it, I got the same error message.  This computer just isn't going to run Acronis.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.  I have narrowed my choices to DriveImage XML and Clonezilla based on price (both are free) and bootable from CD.

DriveImage XML has the advantage of creating an explorable backup (ability to recover single files) while Clonezilla is an all or nothing restoration.

#5 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

And this is why I don't use Linux ...

I burned the DriveImage recovery disk and it boots into a Linux welcome screen.  The system doesn't recognize my mouse, keyboard or USB drive.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

In order to boot a disk on Windows 8 with UEFI, you will need to disable SecureBoot and possibly Fastboot in BIOS. If that does not work, there should be a Legacy or CSM boot option that will let the disks boot.

Another Image program you may want to look at is Aoemi Backupper.You can create a WinPE disk within the program Edit: ( this can be set to boot UEFI ). They also have a Winpe application that will make a bootable disk or USB with their tools.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 December 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#7 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

Thanks, John

I figured out the SecureBoot and UEFI options and can boot from most CDs and DVDs.

I hadn't thought about disabling Fastboot, though.  Will report back.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,633 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

Fastboot usually needs to be disabled if you boot from a USB Flash Drive.

#9 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

My BIOS calls it Quickboot but no joy.  Disabled it and tried booting from the internal DVD.  Machine encountered the same problems booting from Acronis and DriveImage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users